BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Sentinal software triggering McAfee virus threat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

Has anyone ever had Sentinel trigger a virus threat? This just started for some odd reason. This is the second time, a reboot fixed it last time. Hoping a reboot gets past it again. Just wondering if you all have had this or not?

rwier

Has anyone ever had Sentinel trigger a virus threat? This just started for some odd reason. This is the second time, a reboot fixed it last time. Hoping a reboot gets past it again. Just wondering if you all have had this or not?

I don't have McAfee, but do have Win Patrol, Win Patrol WAR, MalwareBytes, Windows Defender, etc., constantly "on-duty", lol. One, or more of them, regularly flags well used programs for additional scrutiny. They invariably have an override option for future use of the "problem child" without interruption. This usually occurs just after updates to the security software or to the well used software. I am not disturbed by this, as about every tenth interruption, the "problem" is some insidious software that I have never heard of planning on starting up with windows at each reboot. The security software is just "failing" on the side of safety.

dcisive

I do tech support and computer repair remotely as an addition to my daily tasks. One of my goals is to remove horrid software from peoples computers getting them running smooth and fast. McAfee is but ONE of the several programs I REMOVE. They suck pure and simple causing a ton of other issues. That's first on the list. Feel free to contact me if you need to know more dcisive@hotmail.com

frazpo

OK. Its a company computer so I am obviously limited on what I can do here. I reinstalled Sentinel and its up and running again. When it does this it shows a long list of suspicious files associated with Sentinel.
Thanks for the advice

garys

Premium Subscriber
I consider McAfee to be malware. I recently bought a new Acer laptop and it came with a free year of McAfee. I refuse to activate it. I had it on a work laptop 10 years ago and made IT take it off because the computer was useless with it running.

I do tech support and computer repair remotely as an addition to my daily tasks. One of my goals is to remove horrid software from peoples computers getting them running smooth and fast. McAfee is but ONE of the several programs I REMOVE. They suck pure and simple causing a ton of other issues. That's first on the list. Feel free to contact me if you need to know more dcisive@hotmail.com

jdcaples

Premium Subscriber
I did something similar to this once:

Find out how much your company is paying for McAfee protection services. This might take a little finesse, maybe find the person that knows and take 'em out for a drink.

Since it's a company computer, reach out to other anti-Virus vendors and have them make a sales call to your company.

Information Technology departments are generally under-funded and dollar driven , so if you can figure out how much McAfee is gouging your employer, let the competition know the ball park so they can compete for your employer's business. Obviously this might approach the limits of ethical behavior, but sometimes you just gotta do something to get the ball rolling. For me, it worked and I know for a fact no sales staff lost a job over it.

-Jon

frazpo

I work for a global company so I am kind of just a number. McAfee has worked pretty well for me. At least as a field user. This is the first issue I've had with it. I downgraded a version of Sentinel and it seems ok now. I am admin credentials and I was able to make some changes to the threat labels and nothing seem to work. Thanks for the replies,,we will see if this version works,,which it probably will being I didn't have this problem before I upgraded to the latest just a week or so ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.