BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Sentinel and updating data base

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemperFi1811

Greetings All: ..As of recent times when using Sentinel for updating firmware and up dating master HPDB I have been getting a failed report "cancelled, operation has timed out"... I also get the same report when trying to update firmware...Any clues?? Would this issue be on my end with my laptop or possibly an internet issue, or maybe my Sentinel Program has been corrupted? Never had this problem in the past year using this program...Open for suggestions here and thanks for any help............

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Greetings All: ..As of recent times when using Sentinel for updating firmware and up dating master HPDB I have been getting a failed report "cancelled, operation has timed out"... I also get the same report when trying to update firmware...Any clues?? Would this issue be on my end with my laptop or possibly an internet issue, or maybe my Sentinel Program has been corrupted? Never had this problem in the past year using this program...Open for suggestions here and thanks for any help............

Are you by any chance using a satellite service for your ISP such as HughesNet?

marksmith

It is on your end. The Sentinel app is unable to reach the Uniden site via internet. That is what the timed out message means.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

SemperFi1811

Thanks for the responses to my up dating Sentinel firmware and data base issue....We get our internet fix here at the house from AT&T....I've tried updating when no one else has been on line here as so not to share band-with but that didn't help.. As I had mentioned earlier this has just popped up recently and, well, how to go about solving this is annoying...There must be a way of working around it...maybe it will resolve itself...probably not......Maybe someone else here will catch this post with a solution, if I find it I will post..
<<<<<<<<<<Again/Thanks....

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses to my up dating Sentinel firmware and data base issue....We get our internet fix here at the house from AT&T....I've tried updating when no one else has been on line here as so not to share band-with but that didn't help.. As I had mentioned earlier this has just popped up recently and, well, how to go about solving this is annoying...There must be a way of working around it...maybe it will resolve itself...probably not......Maybe someone else here will catch this post with a solution, if I find it I will post..
<<<<<<<<<<Again/Thanks....

First, be certain you are using the most recent version of Sentinel (1.07.05).

Then I would check your laptop/firewall/modem/router and even AT&T for something (recent changes in equipment or service on your end?) that is blocking FTP port 21 on your end.

Click here and see what happens:

ftp://ftp.uniden.com/

You should see a log-in prompt from the Uniden FTP update servers within a very few seconds (you won't be able to log in, you're just testing access to the destination).

If you get a log-in prompt from their server, you are at least getting through to it. If you get the log-in prompt after a delay of more that a few seconds, you should then ping that address to see where the delay is that's causing the time-out error when transferring the data.

If you don't get a log-in prompt from the Uniden server (your browser gives a connection error), definitely something on your end blocking your access to FTP port 21. There is no work-around to connect from your location other than finding the cause on your end and eliminating it.

If you're not getting the log-in prompt from Uniden, take your laptop to somewhere with free WiFi access. You might be able to at least rule out your laptop/OS firewall if you can connect to the servers from somewhere else.

Last edited:

SemperFi1811

In response to my problem solvers, On 4/13 tried the updating process again, surprise here, the process went through with no issues. Maybe AT&T was listening (just kidding/ha) Anyway, got the updates...Continuing with the story; As a matter of routine I run Sentinel and RR every morning with the first cup of joe and guess what, the 13th was the last successful update. Today, yesterday and the day before my request for updates has been denied because of "timed-out..As was suggested I will take my laptop to my local McD parking lot with the wifi access and see what happens.. Just a side thought here, maybe my ISP has a lot of subscribers in my neighborhood and not enough bandwith to share... Being a creature of habit I am maybe I should change my morning routine to another time-slot....The saga continues......"Onward & Upward">>>>>>>thanks for the suggestions<<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.