)Sentinel) Changing the name of the Custom Service types

Status
Not open for further replies.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to change the name of the Custom Service types to what we want/need instead of always seeing Custom #?

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Well there is an "Other" and some channels in RR database are assigned "Other", so the custom types are another "Other" to be used for things you set up outside of RR database. Not sure if this is a good explanation or not, but this was my thoughts on the matter.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I often wondered this as well.

So what's the point then to having "Custom" as opposed to "Other"?

My comment is more directed at the ProScan software but it's still the same issue regardless.
The scanner, through a firmware update would have to be the first to allow the Custom service types to be editable then ProScan can follow suit along with Sentinel, Butel, etc..

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Wonder why that suggestion was never put forth, or maybe it was and it just never happened. Seems like that would be a great thing to allow especially if you're going to name it "Custom" and that's what it's purpose is pretty much for anyways.

The scanner, through a firmware update would have to be the first to allow the Custom service types to be editable then ProScan can follow suit along with Sentinel, Butel, etc..

Ubbe

I believe that customized service types for Custom x are on the wish list. What's the point of having "Custom 3" when you do not remember what it stood for? All texts for service types are fixed in memory but it would be possible to have Sentinel write new ones for Custom x in a free memory space and the firmware to look there first to see if there where texts stored there that would replace the default Custom x.

It's just a number reference for each TG and conventional frequencies being programmed and the scanner then filters using the number and displays the service type name by fetching the text from another memory area. Altering that text will change the displayed text for all TG's and frequencies using that service type number. It's not a big change, the Custom types are the highest numbers of service types and are easily filtered out in firmware code. Any normal coder would do the change in less than one hour but then the Sentinel program needs to be changed and then there's the quality department that needs to scrutinize the code and do test to see that all operations are still intact. That's what takes most of the time and will cost money. UPman did a lot of that kind work in his spare time and used beta testers that didn't ask for money, just to reduce costs that management couldn't say no to and gave scanner users a lot of new features.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.