Sentinel Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

af6nm

I cannot get the sentinel software to work on my windows 7 computer. The software that came with the home patrol crashes and I downloaded the latest version and it too crashes immediately at startup. Can anyone help me with this?

windows 7

You have the Microsoft .NET framework ?
Well it cant be the version 4 ,it dont work!
Use the one it came with in the zip file or it Wont work.(version 2 is what it comes with)

If it still doesnt work,run a spyware/antivirus scan with AVG free,if that doesnt work your windows is corrupt.
Also if its a DELL dont plug HP-1 into front ports.
If you are using a USB hub,connect it to the computer first.
Hit us back if still no good.

www.homepatrol.com is where you get the software.

if you get errors,post what they say.

Last edited:

af6nm

sentinel software crashes

I have the ver. 4 .net I removed it and tried to install the version 2.0 that came with the sentinel software and it won't load because I have a 64 bit system. I downloaded the 64 bit version of .net and it says already on my computer. Sentinel still won't load. I thought I removed all traces of .net but maybe not. Still working on it.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I cannot get the sentinel software to work on my windows 7 computer. The software that came with the home patrol crashes and I downloaded the latest version and it too crashes immediately at startup. Can anyone help me with this?

Yep, Win 7 should have the needed .NET version already.
Have you looked in the Event Viewer under Administrative Tools for clues?

Does it crash with any error messages at all or just simply poof shut without warning or notice?

Did you try installing it with administrative rights? Also try starting it as an administrator maybe.

I've ran it on a Win 7 64 bit machine since Sentinel was first released and never had any issues.
My guess is like the other poster said that something with your WIn 7 install is corrupt or a conflict with other installed software.

I'm not sure how to repair the .NET that is part of Win 7 if you did try and remove some of it manually. I know it cannot be uninstalled as it is part of the WIN 7 OS now. I'm thinking Win7 came with .net support through .net 2.0 at least and maybe even 3.0 or 3.5.

Does SFC/ scannow still work in win 7? That may be an option to restore anything that may have been removed or changed.
There may also be a .net repair tool if that is the problem.

OCO

You have the Microsoft .NET framework ?
Well it cant be the version 4 ,it dont work!
Use the one it came with in the zip file or it Wont work.(version 2 is what it comes with)

If it still doesnt work,run a spyware/antivirus scan with AVG free,if that doesnt work your windows is corrupt.
Also if its a DELL dont plug HP-1 into front ports.
If you are using a USB hub,connect it to the computer first.
Hit us back if still no good.

HomePatrol is where you get the software.

if you get errors,post what they say.

I plug my HP1 into the front USB ports on my Dell and it works just fine.

computer

I plug my HP1 into the front USB ports on my Dell and it works just fine.

Hes having problems,and its better to plug the scanner into the back depending on what model dell,on mine it likes the back better because they go directly into the motherbaord.I am trying to help,thats all.ok?

af6nm

Fixed problem

I wiped out my computer and started from scratch and now Sentinel works fine. Probably a corrupted Windows 7 install. Version 8 on the way and they still haven't got it right.

OCO

Entertaining thread - I like to read a little fiction every day.....ya know, you can believe it if you read it on the 'net.....

raybbw

my sentinel stopped about a month ago, message says sentinel stopped working.
Window trouble shooting says program not compatible I tried reinstalling and windows says not enough memory. UPMAN is there patch to fix this?

phask

Premium Subscriber
my sentinel stopped about a month ago, message says sentinel stopped working.
Window trouble shooting says program not compatible I tried reinstalling and windows says not enough memory. UPMAN is there patch to fix this?

What would he fix? You gave absolutely no info. I personally have it running on an XP, a Vista and a Win 7 machine, are you on DOS 3.1?

OCO

What would he fix? You gave absolutely no info. I personally have it running on an XP, a Vista and a Win 7 machine, are you on DOS 3.1?
+1...Same installs here (and only the Win 7 is fairly clean....the Vista is on it's third year and the XP laptop on the ninth or tenth ..);)

kruser

Premium Subscriber
+1...Same installs here (and only the Win 7 is fairly clean....the Vista is on it's third year and the XP laptop on the ninth or tenth ..);)

Yep, same here and not a lick of trouble with Sentinel.
Being as the OP's worked in the past kinda suggests a change or crapware has infected things (most likely).

OCO

By the same token, I'd never discount the affect a new Patch Tuesday batch of updates has on a system. The new ASUS Win 7 laptop worked great, but even though it was built in October, it kept getting past updates, including one from last spring that caused SKYPE to crash on startup. Had to uninstall and reinstall Skype after the updates were all done....(BTW-I resist ever doing a total restore of a system unless it's infected and then I go through the cleaning process first).

raybbw

sorry I thought I was following a tread about windows seven and sentinel problems .I have widows seven and sentinel worked for three months then stopped. I take it from the discussion others are seeing this also. I am not the greatest computer smart person and would like some help.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
sorry I thought I was following a tread about windows seven and sentinel problems .I have widows seven and sentinel worked for three months then stopped. I take it from the discussion others are seeing this also. I am not the greatest computer smart person and would like some help.

Have you thought long and hard about any changes made or new software installed just before you noticed Sentinel no longer working?
Usually there is a reason for it to just up and stop working.
If it was some type of malware that caused it, that may have gone unnoticed by you.
Have you run any AV and malware scanners on your machine to check for crud?. You should do an AV scan and a Malware scan. Don't rely on just one.
I'd try malwarebytes for starters. Do a quick scan first and then a full scan but only after you let it update the detection signatures first.
malwarebytes.org is the site URL but for some reason it is throwing a 504 - Gateway Timeout at me right now when I tried to visit the page.
Malwarebytes is a highly respected application for detecting much of the crap floating around out there these days. Again, it does not replace the need for a good AV type application also.
I can't recommend a good online or offline AV scanner that may be free as I use a corporate AV product so you may need to ask around for that advice.
Heck, if you have nothing now as far as an AV app goes, then the free Microsoft Security Essentials is ok to install and let scan. It works pretty well really.

What happens when you try and open Sentinel? I mean, do any error windows open up at all? Or does nothing happen at all etc? If there are errors that pop up on the screen then post the exact wording here and someone may be able to help.
You should also look in Event Viewer under the System and Application event logs and see if there are any errors shown there. Event Viewer is found under Administrative Tools in Control Panel.
Sorry if you know all the above stuff but your symptoms were very vague so it is really hard for anyone to offer any real help without more info from you.
I'd bet that malware is responsible for the majority of Sentinel problems that I've read about where it will not run or open.

tribby2001

I have been using my HomePatrol since 2011. After some months of absence I tried to run HomePatrol Sentinal [2.02.04] to perform update/upgrade and Windows Vista popped up with the following error:

"HomePatrol_Sentinal has stopped working

Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..."

Then the pop-up window changes to:

"HomePatrol_Sentinal has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is availabale."

After clicking "Close program" button inside this window nothing further occurs.

Never had this problem before. I am at a complete loss. Your thoughts are appreciated.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Hard to say for certain.
I'd reboot the computer and try running it again. If it does it again, I think I'd try the repair option if it is listed. If not, then uninstall and reboot and then download a new copy of Sentinel and install it and try again.

Some needed supporting files like .Net or something may have changed since you last used Sentinel so doing an repair or uninstall/reinstall may fix it with any luck. Or possibly something in the registry changed and doing the above may fix it.

What OS are you running?

Under Win7, Home Patrol Sentinel does offer a Repair option that may work. I assume Vista has the repair option also but not sure about XP.
I'd try doing a repair before trying the uninstall/reinstall routine.

edit: sorry, missed where you said you are running Vista. Go into Programs under control panel and run the Repair option after you select Home Patrol Sentinel and see if that fixes things. If not, then do the uninstall/reinstall thing but download the latest Sentinel version from the Uniden site and use that for the new install.
Does it produce this error window as soon as you open Sentinel or does it wait until you try and do something with Sentinel?

Last edited:

tribby2001

I very much appreciate your assistance.

<snip>
Go into Programs under control panel and run the Repair option after you select Home Patrol Sentinel and see if that fixes things. If not, then do the uninstall/reinstall thing but download the latest Sentinel version from the Uniden site and use that for the new install.

Repaired, rebooted. Uninstalled-reinstalled, rebooted. No joy.

Does it produce this error window as soon as you open Sentinel or does it wait until you try and do something with Sentinel?

It produces the error immediately after I click on either the desktop shortcut or in the Start menu.

Perhaps a recent Windows update clobbered a "DotNetFX"? - In the zipped "HomePatrol_Sentinal" folder there is a sub-folder named "DotNetFX" with three executable files inside. Should any of these three be applied?

Status
Not open for further replies.