Sentinel Database Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM64

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a 436HP about a month ago and I love it so far! I am confused on one thing though.

It's my understanding that the database is upgraded every Monday. If I download the new database to the scanner, does it do any updates to channels on my favorite lists, or does it effect only the full database?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I purchased a 436HP about a month ago and I love it so far! I am confused on one thing though.

It's my understanding that the database is upgraded every Monday. If I download the new database to the scanner, does it do any updates to channels on my favorite lists, or does it effect only the full database?
It only updates the full database. Any entries you have saved in a Favorites list are not updated or changed.

That way, if you've customized your Favorites list, adding alert colors and or tones for certain frequencies and talkgroups, or modified the text tags, these are not overwritten every time the database is updated.

DanM64

Premium Subscriber
That makes perfect sense. Thanks!! Is there a list somewhere to tell what was updated? They have been doing frequent changes to some things I listen to in my favorites lists which I would like to keep updated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That makes perfect sense. Thanks!! Is there a list somewhere to tell what was updated? They have been doing frequent changes to some things I listen to in my favorites lists which I would like to keep updated.
There's no list as such. On any given day, odds are a lot of updates will be done to various systems, whether conventional channels on a database page, or some sort of change on a trunked system. If not your area, or your state, somewhere in the US or Canada. Quite often, even though the system shows as "updated", I don't see any obvious change to the data, so it's something fairly minor, not affecting programming.

You're a premium subscriber, as I am. I have my "home" page set to watch the various counties and trunked systems of interest to me, either in my home area, or areas where I go occasionally. Those will show if there was an update to them, specifically, and I can then look to see if I need to tweak anything. Many times, no changes are needed to my programming. Other times, it's a minor change to just one or two conventional frequencies or talkgroups. For me, it's easier to just correct those directly, than do a re-import (for the DMA scanners such as the 396XT), or delete and re-append for the HP series scanners (Home Patrol & x36HP's), then have to massage the text tags and alert colors all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.