Sentinel DB won't update

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I have Sentinel (v1.07_05) installed in multiple places on multiple types of systems (W7, a couple W10, the latter two VMs). No problems on any of them EXCEPT one. On that one, I get

Code:
Updating full database failed.
Operation is canceled.

Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Yes, I've removed Sentinel, and yes, I ran CCleaner to kill all the registry cruft before re-installing. Yes, I've tried turning off the Windows 10 firewall. Yes, I've tried Reconstructing Full Database. Yes, W10 is up-to-date (both on the one that is working and the one that is not). Yes, Virtual Box (and the "additions") are up-to-date. Same answer in call cases.

Networking works - all my files are in a Dropbox share and that works fine. And despite being in a VM, I have no problems

No problems with the USB connection, either ... except ... I just tested the firmware update and get the same message. Sentinel can see the uSD card in the radio and can load freqs, etc, but when Sentinel tries to compare the version of the the firmware on the card with what's on the server, it barfs. (That the firmware is up to date on the card makes no difference - Sentinel can't get to the server to compare versions).

"Oh, it's the VM! You should never run it in a VM!" Um, no. Until recently, this has been working just fine (wasn't always so, but in the last year or more it's been fine). I run a W10 VM on another host and it's fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 10.20.01.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 10.20.01.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 311

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
On brief Googling, this could be related to a firewall issue (firewall is blocking the ftp port), host issue (host is blocking ftp requests), or host issue (very slow internet connection or bad DNS routing).

Could be other reasons, as well, that I haven't found.

From that machine, try to ftp into ftp.homepatrol.com. You should get a login request. If you get an error, it is probably one of the first two, above.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
From that machine, try to ftp into ftp.homepatrol.com. You should get a login request. If you get an error, it is probably one of the first two, above.

Excellent tip, thanks. Unfortunately, I get a login prompt.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 12.36.21.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 12.36.21.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 280

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Assuming no changes were made at Uniden Galactic HQ, this appears to have been an issue with VirtualBox on OS X (El Crapitan). An update today, to 5.0.30 r112061, seems to have fixed it.

Or you all did something at Uniden Galactic HQ. :)

Either way, updating the DB went without issue. Also, disregarding the fact that the radio has the latest firmware, Sentinel was able to compare the radio version with the server.

All good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.