Sentinel Favorites Profiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
I've created and saved several different named "Profiles" with Sentinel. However, it seems as if when I load different profiles, the Favorites lists within those profiles are all the same - whatever the last changes I made were.

This is not what I expected :mad:

I expected that each profile would contain different Favorites lists and give me the opportunity to "Start fresh" with a new profile without losing all of the editing of favorites and QKs I had in an existing profile -- doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm guessing someone is going to tell me this is the way it is intended to work.... but I hope not.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I've created and saved several different named "Profiles" with Sentinel. However, it seems as if when I load different profiles, the Favorites lists within those profiles are all the same - whatever the last changes I made were.

This is not what I expected :mad:

I expected that each profile would contain different Favorites lists and give me the opportunity to "Start fresh" with a new profile without losing all of the editing of favorites and QKs I had in an existing profile -- doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm guessing someone is going to tell me this is the way it is intended to work.... but I hope not.

As has been mentioned before, the favorites lists are the same across all profiles. The only differences between profiles is what ever is entered for that particular profile on the profile editor screen.

shonc182

Premium Subscriber
You can 'Erase Favorite Lists on Scanner' when sending a new profile to the scanner and as long as you have the correct FL's enabled for download - the scanner will at least only have the FL's you want. You still have the big list in Sentinel that you have to look at. I also found this annoying, but have moved on.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You may want to look at the "Scan Selection" tab for each profile you have using the Profile Editor.

You'll have a choice of whether to Monitor and Download each Favorites List per profile. You basically have a "library" of all your Favorites Lists and profiles merely allow you to select which Favorites Lists are associated (or "active") with each profile. (I'm guessing the method to the madness was there isn't much sense in re-inventing wheels, or re-creating Favorites).

For example if you have ten Favorites Lists numbered 0-9 and two Profiles, one is "A" the other is "B". You can set Profile A to download/monitor (as in make these active) Favorites Lists 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. For Profile B you can set it to download FLs 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

As noted above, if you want to load a different profile in your scanner with certain Favorites Lists, you have to tell the scanner to erase what is there first (essentially overwriting what is there because you don't want it there any more).

I see you have a 396T. If you use ARC software to program it, there's a very similar process for creating profiles.

troymail

Silent Key
You may want to look at the "Scan Selection" tab for each profile you have using the Profile Editor.

You'll have a choice of whether to Monitor and Download each Favorites List per profile. You basically have a "library" of all your Favorites Lists and profiles merely allow you to select which Favorites Lists are associated (or "active") with each profile. (I'm guessing the method to the madness was there isn't much sense in re-inventing wheels, or re-creating Favorites).

For example if you have ten Favorites Lists numbered 0-9 and two Profiles, one is "A" the other is "B". You can set Profile A to download/monitor (as in make these active) Favorites Lists 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. For Profile B you can set it to download FLs 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

As noted above, if you want to load a different profile in your scanner with certain Favorites Lists, you have to tell the scanner to erase what is there first (essentially overwriting what is there because you don't want it there any more).

I see you have a 396T. If you use ARC software to program it, there's a very similar process for creating profiles.

OK - this might work. I saw the Download option but wasn't clear on how it should be used or what it did. Thanks to you suggestion, I think I get it now. It's just a different way of thinking (I'm having to take a 90 degree turn from what I've done/used in the past).

I see the value is reuse of the existing programming of QKs etc. so that regardless of Profile, the QKs are the same.

I've never used ARC software - only the software that came with the 396 and FreeScan

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.