Sentinel File Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

crcarter

Is it possible to configure where Sentinel stores the log, favorite and profile configurations? What I want to do is install Sentinel to a flash drive so that I only need to take it and my cable to make updates and changes when I travel. Just about everywhere I go I would have access to a computer, so why carry mine if I could have the program and data in a flash drive?

OCO

Charlie:
Uniden configured Sentinel without the ability to browse for files outside of the specific folders they set up, probably to avoid confusion and "lost" files. Not only that, but the Favorites, Profile, Discovery and Activity logs are in a different location than the Database files. I'm not sure how you'd do it unless you created a complete system, OS and all on a bootable flash drive and installed Sentinel on it.

crcarter

Charlie:
Uniden configured Sentinel without the ability to browse for files outside of the specific folders they set up, probably to avoid confusion and "lost" files. Not only that, but the Favorites, Profile, Discovery and Activity logs are in a different location than the Database files. I'm not sure how you'd do it unless you created a complete system, OS and all on a bootable flash drive and installed Sentinel on it.

I believe I should have looked a little harder before I posted.

Tools -> Options -> Sentinel Folder

I don't see the database file there though. Any idea of the filename?

OCO

I believe I should have looked a little harder before I posted.

Tools -> Options -> Sentinel Folder

I don't see the database file there though. Any idea of the filename?

C:\programdata\uniden\homepatrol_sentinel on a Win7 box...it'll probably vary with OS version.

You are correct that you can set the Sentinel file location, but not the DB........

Last edited:

rwier

Is it possible to configure where Sentinel stores the log, favorite and profile configurations? What I want to do is install Sentinel to a flash drive so that I only need to take it and my cable to make updates and changes when I travel. Just about everywhere I go I would have access to a computer, so why carry mine if I could have the program and data in a flash drive?

Well, on my computer MOST of the above are located in:

The above was probably by default at installation time. However, my FavLists are saved to:

(Full DB + Fav's) and:

Desktop\SCANNER\HP 1 FILES SOFTWARE\favorites_list\favorites_list

(Copies/backups of Fav's) These last two folder locations were by design, and not by default. I believe that to travel, in the manner of your question, that copying from both of these areas would satisfy the quest.

If you have difficulty locating the saved FavLists, the file names look like (Defaults):

favorites 000001.hpd
favorites 000002.hpd
favorites 000003.hpd
etc.

or like (My Custom):

HOME 1.hpd
HOME 2.hpd
HOME 3.hpd

OCO

Well, on my computer MOST of the above are located in:

The above was probably by default at installation time. However, my FavLists are saved to:

(Full DB + Fav's) and:

Desktop\SCANNER\HP 1 FILES SOFTWARE\favorites_list\favorites_list

(Copies/backups of Fav's) These last two folder locations were by design, and not by default. I believe that to travel, in the manner of your question, that copying from both of these areas would satisfy the quest.

If you have difficulty locating the saved FavLists, the file names look like (Defaults):

favorites 000001.hpd
favorites 000002.hpd
favorites 000003.hpd
etc.

or like (My Custom):

HOME 1.hpd
HOME 2.hpd
HOME 3.hpd
Rob:
Did you change the default location of the DB or are you copying it? I don't recall having the option of setting the DB location, but then again, I'm not sure what I had for lunch two days ago.

Happy Holidays!

rwier

Rob:
Did you change the default location of the DB or are you copying it? I don't recall having the option of setting the DB location, but then again, I'm not sure what I had for lunch two days ago.

Happy Holidays!

Based upon your previous, I would assume that the "true" DB is hidden in the Sentinel "program". What is located in my "created" directory is not a "DB" folder, but many folders (all States, Providences, etc.). The date on all is 8/15/2011 (also same time stamp). It is very possible that if 8/15 is near the "E" upgrade (certainly if before) that the copies were made with ArcPatrol. Since the upgrade, ArcPatrol has been (for me) irrelevant, due to the improvements in Sentinel. Maybe the new Sentinel does not allow copying, or changing the default directory, as you suspect.

I will try to update this thread sometime after my next download session with the HP-1(E).

OCO

Rob:
The locations I listed are all default folders that Sentinel used on this Win7 box.
The HP1 Database is located at
C:\Programdata\Uniden\Homepatrol_Sentinel\Database
The Favorites, Profile, Discovery and Activity logs are located at
C:\Users\<username>\My Documents\Uniden\HomePatrol\<FavoriteLists, Profile, DiscoveryLog or ActivityLog folder>

I had files all over the back 40 on the XP box that just died-I had a heck of a ime figuring out which were the live ones and which were copies. This was partially due to ARC Patrol backups and working file locations plus Sentinel file locations.

One of the issues that's got me cautious is this: If you have Favorites to import, Sentinel wants to import ".hpe" files. It updates the index file "favorites_lists.config" and then writes the imported file as a ".hpd" file (i.e. "favorites_000010.hpd"). If you export using Sentinel, it creates a .hpe file. ArcPatrol creates .hpd files - the only way to use them is to save them directly to the HP1 - it updates the "favorites_lists.config" on the HP1 and adds the new favorite, numbered as above.You then, to complete the cycle, need to save them back to Sentinel. The issue? At least twice after installing ArcPatrol on this Win7 box, I've ended up with empty Favorite files - how or why I don't know, as I can't duplicate the problem, but know it was after installing ArcPatrol (which I do like for all of it's extra editing features). So I'm very leary about it right now.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.