Sentinel: Sentinel for SDS100 will not run after latest Windows 10 Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
FYI I uninstalled Sentinel 2.03 and then installed the previous 2.02 version. The program installed fine but will not run when clicked on. It's the same behavior as with the latest Sentinel version.
-
If you can, try the suggestion in post #13... I'd be very curious if that works in your situation.

trp2525

-
If you can, try the suggestion in post #13... I'd be very curious if that works in your situation.
If I do that, then I will have to log into a different account every time I want to use Sentinel? Is that a known issue that some user accounts will not allow a certain program to run on a computer but other accounts will? I understand the concept of administrator and non-administrator program rights but I don't believe that is an issue here.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If I do that, then I will have to log into a different account every time I want to use Sentinel? Is that a known issue that some user accounts will not allow a certain program to run on a computer but other accounts will? I understand the concept of administrator and non-administrator program rights but I don't believe that is an issue here.
-
It might help trace down where the problem is. As noted, it has worked for others. A complete fresh install of Sentinel on another user account will bypass any remnants of a failed / corrupt install on the first account. Install for "this user only" if asked.

Last edited:

trp2525

-
It might help trace down where the problem is. As noted, it has worked for others. A complete fresh install of Sentinel on another user account will bypass any remnants of a failed / corrupt install on the first account. Install for "this user only" if asked.
OK did an install of Sentinel 2.03 on another user account with the same results. Program says "successful install" but will not run when clicked on. I believe there must be a problem with my .NET Framework that was updated with last week's Windows Update.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
OK did an install of Sentinel 2.03 on another user account with the same results. Program says "successful install" but will not run when clicked on. I believe there must be a problem with my .NET Framework that was updated with last week's Windows Update.
You could try searching online for "repair .net framework".
The 1st link comes up is: Download Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center
{edit} I just noticed the Supported Operating Systems doesn't include Win 10 so forget the above link

FYI, Sentinel uses the .NET Framework 2.0 which is part of 3.5

Last edited:

trp2525

You could try searching online for "repair .net framework".
The 1st link comes up is: Download Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center
{edit} I just noticed the Supported Operating System doesn't include Win 10 so forget the above link

FYI, Sentinel uses the .NET Framework 2.0 which is part of 3.5

Thank you for that suggestion. I looked at that repair tool before I did my initial posting at RR earlier today. Unfortunately that .NET Framework repair tool is not supported for Windows 10 (or Windows 11). The Supported Operating Systems are "Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, Windows Vista."

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
You are supposed to be able to uninstall and reinstall .NET by going into the Windows Features and unchecking both (and all) of the .NET entries; then reboot the system. After the reboot, then you go back to the Windows Features and turn back on all of the .NET features by putting back the checkmarks. That is supposed to cleanup and/or fix the software. That might be worth a try.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
This is the .net framework issue. As explained above. While it's not listed, I recall the framework repair tool does in fact work for Windows 10.
I had to go through the same steps, and I remember that fixing it. You have to turn the windows feature on first, let windows update attempt to work. Then after it fails, run the repair tool.

Swipesy

trp2525- In view that Sentinel 2.2 runs on my Windows 10 PC and Sentinel 2.3 runs on fxcon's PC your issue is clearly a Windows problem. I don't know how proficient you are with computers but if I experienced your issue, knowing that Sentinel does run on Windows 10, I would uninstall Sentinel, reboot, then edit the Registry and delete all references to Sentinel, reboot and reinstall Sentinel. If that does not solve your issue then something squirrely is with your version of Windows. I would contact Microsoft help on that.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I was going to suggest pretty much the same thing. Uninstall and delete Sentinel off the pc and scrub the registry of anything related to uniden Sentinel.

RT48

I am running Windows 22H2, Sentinel 2.03 and my Windows Update history shows the latest version of .NET installed on 12/13/22 along with all the other updates released that day. I'm not having any problems.

One thing you could try is looking in Event Viewer at the System and Applications logs to see if there are any error messages pertaining to either .NET or Sentinel since the updates were released on 12/13/22.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for that suggestion. I looked at that repair tool before I did my initial posting at RR earlier today. Unfortunately that .NET Framework repair tool is not supported for Windows 10 (or Windows 11). The Supported Operating Systems are "Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, Windows Vista."
Any chance that Windows Defender is blocking Sentinel? Theoretically, if it blocks an 'unknown program' from running, you should get an on-screen warning that this has occurred. But I've had a couple of instances where a program was blocked, but I did not get a specific warning message.

Do a basic Google search on this. You'll get a number of links to discussions of this problem, including this one. I had a simillar issue on my older laptop, which was using Windows 10. My current laptop is on Windows 11, which, as part of the normal Windows Update process, 'helpfully' removes certain apps that were not downloaded from the Windows App store. Looking at comments on that, apparently that is not unusual for Windows to do that,

trp2525

Thanks EVERYONE for all of your replies and suggestions. I will work on this further and run the .NET Framework repair tool and see what happens. I will post back with a status report.

trp2525

Well I ran the .Net Framework repair tool with my fingers crossed but it didn't solve the problem. It states "The tool is unable to resolve the installation issue on your computer" and Sentinel will not run after doing a fresh Sentinel install after running the repair tool. Back to the drawing board.....

trp2525

Would it be worth it to try running sfc /scannow to make sure the OS is OK?
I ran the Command Prompt sfc /scannow as administrator and after completing it said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

trp2525

I was going to suggest pretty much the same thing. Uninstall and delete Sentinel off the pc and scrub the registry of anything related to uniden Sentinel.
What do you think about running Revo Uninstaller to totally remove Sentinel along with any Sentinel registry entries and other remnants left behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.