Sentinel help with SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcraft203

Hi All,
So I have an SDS100 that someone else programmed. So now one of the systems in my favorites list has to be updated as they added some new talkgroups. The system on Radio reference has been updated so I am good to proceed. I am just learning the software so bear with me. I can connect and read from scanner and I am getting a new SD card to play around. This seems pretty straightforward. My issue is this, under my current system ( on current SD card) that is in scanner, in the folder tree there is currently a radio ID list the programmer put in with like a 1000 radio id's in it. When I click on it in sentinel it shows them all in tabular form. I can download the system from the database on my new card but i do not know how to transfer this radio list currently on the one card to the new card and dump it into the system I am updating/adding on the new card. I dont see any radio ID list in the Sentinel database. Can anyone advise specifically how to input this radio list on another sd card in the favorite list. Thx a bunch

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Talkgroups and radio id's, are two different things.

It looks like you want to duplicate/transfer the original programmers work, to a new SD card, correct?

Seems to be, the way to go about it is, using the sd card that has the radio id's on, leave that card in your scanner.

Then, plug the scanner in your pc, open Sentinel, and click on the icon that says "read from scanner".

Once that is finished, to ensure it is saved in Sentinel, at the top, click on "File" scroll down to "Save" and click that as well.

I also go to the first row of icons and look for the one that looks like a floppy disk (when you hover the cursor over it, it says "Save Profile") click that as well.

Now, on your PC, dismount the Scanner, physically unplug it from the PC, while your radio is off, extract the SD card, insert the new one, repeat the plug in to pc/Sentinel thing but this time, click on the "Write to Scanner" icon.

Now you will have identical programming on both cards.

All of this could be achieved using an SD card reader but this is the method I use.

Sentinel has no radio id's database, waaayyy to much info and not everybody uses it.
Radio ID's are derived from personal observation and part of the hobby.

Hope this helped.

Jcraft203

Gcopter 1 thx for the detailed response. That all sounds doable pretty easy as I have been poking around a bit recently. My problem will be this. The current programming on card has the radio I’D list under the system/favorite I need to remove in order to put the new updated system from sentinel on it. So I guess I am saying I can pull everything in and put it on another card but when I delete the system to input the new is it going to wipe out the ID list that is under that system. Thx

Jcraft203

Those can be added to your present SD card containing your radio ID's.
Okay I will have to try that. I was under the impression that if an update was made to database for your system you just have to remove the entires system and append the new updated one to your favorites list. I will poke around and see what I can do. I will back up the new card though first. Thx

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
IMO, it depends on the update and how much work you're willing to put in.
It would be easier to erase and start anew, if you don't mind loosing something with lots of extraneous data such as radio ID's, those are not easy to come by, they're not included on the database updates.

What I would do is go to Radio Reference and make a note of what is updated that you want to add, be it frequencies or talk groups.

Then, open up Sentinel, click on Edit Profile for the affected list and add the info.

Again, just make sure before you close the window pop up, click on save, you'll notice the "updated" notice disappears, that means the info you just added was saved.

Next is to make sure on the main Sentinel window you click save and save to profile.
Only then it will be ready to write to scanner.

Jcraft203

IMO, it depends on the update and how much work you're willing to put in.
It would be easier to erase and start anew, if you don't mind loosing something with lots of extraneous data such as radio ID's, those are not easy to come by, they're not included on the database updates.

What I would do is go to Radio Reference and make a note of what is updated that you want to add, be it frequencies or talk groups.

Then, open up Sentinel, click on Edit Profile for the affected list and add the info.

Again, just make sure before you close the window pop up, click on save, you'll notice the "updated" notice disappears, that means the info you just added was saved.

Next is to make sure on the main Sentinel window you click save and save to profile.
Only then it will be ready to write to scanner.
I will give it a shot. Thx a bunch

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
When you mentioned "Tac channels" are those frequencies?

Tac channels could be talkgroups. Some departments add the "Tac" designator to mean the channel is to be used for a defined purpose.

On the other hand, "Tac" is used in Sentinel as a service type, e.g., Law Tac, Fire Tac.

Jcraft203

When you mentioned "Tac channels" are those frequencies?

Tac channels could be talkgroups. Some departments add the "Tac" designator to mean the channel is to be used for a defined purpose.

On the other hand, "Tac" is used in Sentinel as a service type, e.g., Law Tac, Fire Tac.
When I look at the county that was updated it shows the addition of a couple tac channels. These tac channels I see listed under the Talkgroups section of the simulcast system our county uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.