Sentinel Installation Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyP19128

I downloaded and installed the BCDx36HP Sentinel application on my Windows 10 machine today. I had this installed on an earlier machine (Dell, Windows Vista) where it worked well. The earlier machine died at the end of 2015 and haven't re-installed Sentinel since. I became aware of the firmware update for the BCD536HP a few days ago and wanted to update my radio.

I have BCDx36HP Sentinel installed but every time I go to run it, I'm getting a "configuration parser error"
which ultimately is pointing to a config file associated with the Microsoft.Net framework. The actual error is this: *C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\machine.config * parser returned error 0xC00CE556......

When I Googled this error the fix involves purging one file and renaming another file (machine.config.defualt
gets renamed to machine.config in the above referenced folder). When I attempt to do this I run into permissions issues and at this point I think I'm out of my league.

I had a computer techie at my house last night and he believes the problem is with the download from Uniden. I very much doubt that this is the case.

Granting that this is probably a Windows 10 issue and not a Sentinel problem, I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Pence

Last edited:

JohnOldridge

Sentinel Issue

Hi. I had the same issue. As some have mentioned on this site, you have to open or run the file as "administrator". At least that worked for me when I had the issue you're describing. Good Luck.
-John-

MikeyP19128

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, your advice has not helped.

A synopsis I reinstalled Sentinel as a regular user and then attempted to run it as Administrator. Same error.

I logged-on as Administrator and again reinstalled and ran the program...no luck.

I'm using the web site: BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki to
obtain version l.07.05 of Sentinel. I assume that's correct.

I use the indicated link to obtain the Zip file: BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_1_07_05.zip

When WinZip opens (unzips) this file, I run: Setup_BCDx36HP.msi .

The program evidently installs correctly but aborts with the previously described parser configuration error.

Coincidentally, I happened to have some other new software (unrelated to Sentinel) to be installed from CD-ROM. I ran that installation after my initial posting here and that application runs fine.

Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel 1.07.05 is the latest version (or at least what I'm using).

If you have an uninstall program on your computer, you might try running that to uninstall whatever traces of Sentinel you have on your machine. Then, shut down and re-power your machine. Lastly, try a re-install of Sentinel as you did above.

If that doesn't work I'd suspect some settings in your firewall don't agree with Sentinel.

MikeyP19128

fxdscon: Thanks for your reply. Your response makes me think that I have not correctly unzipped the files and it would account for my problem. I'll get back to this a little later and try it again. Thanks.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
fxdscon: Thanks for your reply. Your response makes me think that I have not correctly unzipped the files and it would account for my problem. I'll get back to this a little later and try it again. Thanks.

OK, let us know.... un-zip all files first, then run setup.exe.

MikeyP19128

It still does not work.

I uninstalled the previously installed Sentinel through the Windows Control Panel.

I went back to the Uniden web site, downloaded the .zip file, over wrote the existing file, and opened it with WinZip. I created a new folder and unzipped all six files to the new folder. I failed to do this earlier.

I ran setup.exe by double clicking it in File Explorer, the installation appeared to run correctly, and a desk top icon was created for BCDx36HP Sentinel.

I double click the icon and continue to get the configuration parser error/

My Windows 10 OS is up to date.

Aargh !

MikeyP19128

Thank you to all who replied or mulled over this problem.

I just fixed it.

The short of it is: I had to create a new machine.config file as I indicated in my original post, following
instructions on a Microsoft web page. Unfortunately, I didn't follow the instructions as exactly as I should
have (I'm a retired IT person who should know better :) ). Upon revisiting the fix, I followed the instructions exactly and Sentinel now works.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Mike

phask

Premium Subscriber
edit - glad you got it....

Read these and follow it. I'm willing to bet it will fix it.

This thread here on RR
https://forums.radioreference.com/u...-wits-end-sentinel-has-stopped-working-5.html

And directly related to your error

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...556/895eb128-535c-4d24-b60e-580187991c73?db=5

I'd try the first - short answer is got to

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Uniden"

and delete user.config" file.

If no joy you'll have to follow Microsoft's recomendations.

Quick look is seems that on some 64 bitmachines not all the net framework stuff gets installed (or something like that).

Suprised your so called tech did not see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.