Sentinel issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

5300ogden

Thanks I was working my way through but now that I have the new favorites list in there, and have found the extracted file, it does not want to open. It wants a program to open. Sorry.
Okay, redid everything and now at the point I need to assign a favorites quick key, and then import into scanner.?
I just downloaded the file that tvengr posted, and it imported into Sentinel without any issues. If you follow the instructions in post #12 exactly, you shouldn't have any problem.... and it shouldn't ask you for another program to open it if you've followed the directions as given.... you don't "open" it, you "import" it.

Thanks, it did for me on a second attempt. I am now at the point of figuring out assigning a favorites quick key. Appreciate your input.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Click on the Edit Tab and Edit Favorites List. Highlight Pottawattamie Co and click OK. Go to the Options tab and set FL Quick Key to 0. Click on File and Save. Click on File and Exit.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you see the see the Pottawattamie Co favorites list in the left colimn of Sentinel, proceed to the following instructions. If you had problems importing the favorites list, please let me know. You can create different profiles for yourself and others for programming scanners. Click on the File tab and New. Name it with something like your name and click OK. Go to the Edit tab and Edit Profile. If the boxes for Monitor Full Database or Monitor Search with Scan are checked, click on the box to remove the check mark. Click on Pottawattamie Co to highlight it. Above the favorites list, you will see Monitor On and Off and Download On and Off. Click On for Monitor. That will turn on both Download and Monitor. Download means that the favorites list will sent to the scanner. If Monitor is not ON, it will be locked out in the scanner. You should see the Quick Key of 0 in the next column to the right. Close the Profile Editor by clicking on the X at the upper right corner. After closing the editor, you will see (Profile Name) Updated at the top of the screen. Click on the File tab and Save. Updated will disappear. Turn the scanner on and connect you scanner to the computer with the USB cable. Press E. USB Mass Storage will be displayed on the scanner screen. Go to the Scanner tab and Write to Scanner. You should see the disk drive, Uniden BCD536HP, and the electronic serial number in the window. Check the box to Erase Favorites Lists on Scanner. Click OK. Click OK again in the warning box to write to the scanner. Once the writing is completed, click OK. Dismount the scanner before disconnecting the cable. At this time, you should be able to toggle the favorites list on and off by pressing 0 on the keypad. The scanner should be working at this point with the antenna connected.

Celeritas670

If you see the see the Pottawattamie Co favorites list in the left colimn of Sentinel, proceed to the following instructions. If you had problems importing the favorites list, please let me know. You can create different profiles for yourself and others for programming scanners. Click on the File tab and New. Name it with something like your name and click OK. Go to the Edit tab and Edit Profile. If the boxes for Monitor Full Database or Monitor Search with Scan are checked, click on the box to remove the check mark. Click on Pottawattamie Co to highlight it. Above the favorites list, you will see Monitor On and Off and Download On and Off. Click On for Monitor. That will turn on both Download and Monitor. Download means that the favorites list will sent to the scanner. If Monitor is not ON, it will be locked out in the scanner. You should see the Quick Key of 0 in the next column to the right. Close the Profile Editor by clicking on the X at the upper right corner. After closing the editor, you will see (Profile Name) Updated at the top of the screen. Click on the File tab and Save. Updated will disappear. Turn the scanner on and connect you scanner to the computer with the USB cable. Press E. USB Mass Storage will be displayed on the scanner screen. Go to the Scanner tab and Write to Scanner. You should see the disk drive, Uniden BCD536HP, and the electronic serial number in the window. Check the box to Erase Favorites Lists on Scanner. Click OK. Click OK again in the warning box to write to the scanner. Once the writing is completed, click OK. Dismount the scanner before disconnecting the cable. At this time, you should be able to toggle the favorites list on and off by pressing 0 on the keypad. The scanner should be working at this point with the antenna connected.

This is EXACTLY the kind of post I wish I had seen eight months ago when I was first learning the SDS100. Kudos to you for your clarity and precision. Once you do something a few times, then you can go to the "Easier to Read" manuals and say "of course -- it's obvious". But at first, it's not obvious at all.

So thanks again. If we had a few dozen more posts of this detail and quality regarding various features of the scanner, we'd be well on the way to the tutorial manual so many have wished for.

5300ogden

I have followed all this and each prompt was exactly as you described. I have just one set of messages on the screen now:
Pottawattamie Co
PC Simulcast
ID Scanning.
No audio as of yet, and I just realized that my Sarpy Co, NE programming on the SD card may be gone?
Thanks for your relentless help to a newbie.

5300ogden

I have followed all this and each prompt was exactly as you described. I have just one set of messages on the screen now:
Pottawattamie Co
PC Simulcast
ID Scanning.
No audio as of yet, and I just realized that my Sarpy Co, NE programming on the SD card may be gone?
Thanks for your relentless help to a newbie.
Now is just says; SCAN MODE. NOTHING TO SCAN

tvengr

Well Known Member
If it was scanning before, press 0 on the keypad. If you followed the instructions, the favorites list has a quick key of 0. Pressing 0 will toggle the favorites list on and off. The display you saw on the screen before was what you should see for scanning Pottawattamie Co. Sarpy Co is on the same Northeast Regional system. I apologize for losing Sarpy Co, but you weren't getting any audio on that one either. It still sounds like a possible simulcast problem. Try turning on the attenuator and reorienting and adjusting the length of the antenna. Try removing the antenna and replacing it with a paperclip in the connector. Also, move the scanner around the room.

Last edited:

5300ogden

If it was scanning before, press 0 on the keypad. If you followed the instructions, the favorites list has a quick key of 0. Pressing 0 will toggle the favorites list on and off. The display you saw on the screen before was what you should see for scanning Pottawattamie Co. Sarpy Co is on the same Northeast Regional system. I apologize for losing Sarpy Co, but you weren't getting any audio on that one either. It still sounds like a possible simulcast problem. Try turning on the attenuator and reorienting and adjusting the length of the antenna. Try removing the antenna and replacing it with a paperclip in the connector. Also, move the scanner around the room.

Will rry all of those, thanks again for your help and time spent.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I see that you say that Sarpy Co was working before. Rich at Scanner Master knows what he is doing. That means your decoding and audio output is working. If neither Rich's nor my programming is working, it is either a simulcast problem or database error issue. I just double checked the database and all of the control channel and alternate frequencies are correct according to the database. The control channel frequency may have changed and it has not been updated in the database. I am going to post a thread on the Iowa forum to see if anyone else has a problem or updated information. Are you in Pottawattamie or Sarpy County? It could also be that you are out of range.

Last edited:

jandlory

Premium Subscriber
5300ogden

I live right across the river from you and with the new P25-2 upgrade and conversion I have been having issues with Douglas, Sarpy and Pottawattamie counties. I have found lately that Bellevue and Council Bluffs have been transmitting on P25-1 on the P25-2 system on the simulcast frequencies. My old radio shack Pro 197 picks them up just fine but my BCD536HP misses a lot. But then on other days I get nothing on the 197 and the 536 doesn’t miss a beat. I am not smart enough to tell you what’s going on for sure, but I think it may just be where everyone is going to the new system and the operator’s are still working out bugs on their end.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
This link should help. See the section "Enable the .NET Framework 3.5 in Control Panel"
Sentinel targets the .Net 2.0 Framework. .Net 2.0 is part of the 3.5 installation.

Install the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8

This is why I love the RR community. I ran into the same problem as the OP and even though it took a while to find the right combination of words in SEARCH, I found this thread and found the answer that solved the problem.

Scanner enthusiasts helping other scanner enthusiasts. That's what it's all about!!! (y)(y)(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.