Sentinel Mobile App

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
I wish Sentinel would make a App. So I could take the memory card from the SDS and put it in my tablet. Instead of pulling out my heavy laptop which takes forever to get up and running. Because windows wants to update all the time and shut everything else down.

A app would be a big step but it would save users a lot time. I think its possible because you're updating by a Removal memory card anyway.

And also this could benefit the Data base administrators too for Radioreference. They could update the Database anytime anywhere anyplace. Without having to be home or at a place carrying charging cables.

Not saying this isn't possible with a laptop. I'm saying it would be more quicker and efficient. And you wouldn't have to carry the bulky laptop around. Or be in front of a desktop computer.

My laptop isn't old but it's no Porsche or Alienware. Plus I don't like turning it on. Because its so bulky and heavy. And I don't really play games on it anymore. I play games on mobile devices now. Its 2021 and mobile tablets and phones have better graphics then a computer or a Gaming Console (Playstation or X box) And I don't like Chromebooks because their fake laptops. A real laptop has a CD/DVD drive and has a fan built in underneath it like mine. And yes my laptop is labeled energy Efficient. A chromebook I wouldn't tolerate holding up for hours with my arms.

So what you users of mostly HP and SDS or Removal memory scanners think?

Could we see a Sentinel or Uniden app in the near Future

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
...And also this could benefit the Data base administrators too for Radioreference. They could update the Database anytime anywhere anyplace. Without having to be home or at a place carrying charging cables...
Sentinel doesn't update the RR database, it's the other way around. Updates in the RR database are uploaded to Uniden servers & then go to Sentinel.

And as an owner of both a 436 & an SDS, I don't want to keep pulling my SD cards & putting them back in. In my opinion, it's unnecessary.

RadioSc

Sentinel doesn't update the RR database, it's the other way around. Updates in the RR database are uploaded to Uniden servers & then go to Sentinel.

And as an owner of both a 436 & an SDS, I don't want to keep pulling my SD cards & putting them back in. In my opinion, it's unnecessary.
How you update yours? Thru a data cable?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
A app would be a big step but it would save users a lot time.

For the few seconds an app might save, I will stick to updating on my pc with my 42 inch monitor or my laptop. Anyway, how often are you updating your scanner that saving time is a big deal? I only update the main database when ever I travel as that's the only time I use it.

And also this could benefit the Data base administrators too for Radioreference. They could update the Database anytime anywhere anyplace. Without having to be home or at a place carrying charging cables.

How would an app made by Uniden help database admins do what they do? Uniden pulls from radio reference. I'm sure radio reference has a platform that the admins use for updates.

I have never removed my cards for updates. I use the supplied cable.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I wish Sentinel would make a App. So I could take the memory card from the SDS and put it in my tablet. Instead of pulling out my heavy laptop which takes forever to get up and running. Because windows wants to update all the time and shut everything else down.

A app would be a big step but it would save users a lot time. I think its possible because you're updating by a Removal memory card anyway.

Not saying this isn't possible with a laptop. I'm saying it would be more quicker and efficient. And you wouldn't have to carry the bulky laptop around. Or be in front of a desktop computer.

My laptop isn't old but it's no Porsche or Alienware. Plus I don't like turning it on. Because its so bulky and heavy. And I don't really play games on it anymore. I play games on mobile devices now. Its 2021 and mobile tablets and phones have better graphics then a computer or a Gaming Console (Playstation or X box) And I don't like Chromebooks because their fake laptops. A real laptop has a CD/DVD drive and has a fan built in underneath it like mine. And yes my laptop is labeled energy Efficient. A chromebook I wouldn't tolerate holding up for hours with my arms.

Could we see a Sentinel or Uniden app in the near Future
Nope, for a once a month operation to update the main database... Laptop is the way to go for me.

RadioSc

So ya agree it's a bad idea alright got ya. So what do ya think Uniden working on right now for a new 2022 Scanner. And not the SDS 100 or 200

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Any device you don't turn on for long periods of time is going to have a backlog of updates when you finally do. It doesn't matter whether it's Apple, Android, Linux, or Windows. You're complaining about the inevitable consequences of your actions, not an actual Windows problem.

And you're 100% wrong about phones having better graphics than computers and game consoles, unless you limit your comparison to consoles a decade or more old. A classic Xbox does better graphics than Plants vs Zombies or Angry Birds.

Also, Uniden gets its database from RadioReference, not the other way around, so Sentinel on a tablet would make zero difference to how database admins do their job.

Porting Sentinel to 2 new operating systems would be a major project, and one that would distract from firmware updates and bug fixes. So don't ask what I think of your post unless you want your feelings hurt.

A much more realistic and practical ask would be to get some updates to the Siren app so it works on newer versions of Android and iOS without weird buffering glitches and frequent hangs and crashes.

Uniden, like most tech manufacturers, doesn't disclose what it is working on until the product is close to going to market. There are many good reasons for doing so, so speculating on what Uniden R&D is working on is pretty much a waste of time.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Since firmware updates are not an issue I think you would find that most people remove the card from the sds200 which is usually in a fixed position with other radios around it. It just makes sense if you have a desktop.

As mentioned, I would advise no one to remove the card from the sds100 or the 436. Since it's portable, always use the cable. I also had to do intricate surgery on my 436 in 2014. The cardholder is flimsy and easy to break.

RadioSc

Well this probably the last post I'll be on. (Last time seen on radioreference forums)

I asked nicley what ya think. I didn't suspect ya to come on here banishing about something I just threw up in the air. But thats cool people got their thoughts on things and let them out. I was just asking for the people who don't like sitting in front of their computer for a more simple way to update their radio. Other then starting up their Ancient Desktop computer or laptop.

But thats cool man Screw you @jonwienke, @drdispatch, @dave3825 And all others banishing my thoughts on things.

Here some flowers 💐 for ya thoughts. And ya can kiss my... too

Already been ban part of Uniden forums so why not the whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.