Sentinel question about "Profiles"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Could someone explain what PROFILES do? I had found about 7 Profiles I cant account for by going to FILE>Open and found them. No clue which one goes with whatever favorites list I have made in the past. The only current favorites list I have (for sds200) is called "LIST_1" which contains about 5 systems. But I have NO CLUE what PROFILE it is associated with. I would like to edit a new favorites list using a DIFFERENT profile so as not to mix things up with my current FL. Is there any place in my FL called LIST_1 that says which Profile it is associated with? I can't find anything. I tried opening a few of the other Profiles but nothing happens. When you are in your favorites list page there is no reference to what profile is used. I just don't get it!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Could someone explain what PROFILES do? I had found about 7 Profiles I cant account for by going to FILE>Open and found them. No clue which one goes with whatever favorites list I have made in the past. The only current favorites list I have (for sds200) is called "LIST_1" which contains about 5 systems. But I have NO CLUE what PROFILE it is associated with. I would like to edit a new favorites list using a DIFFERENT profile so as not to mix things up with my current FL. Is there any place in my FL called LIST_1 that says which Profile it is associated with? I can't find anything. I tried opening a few of the other Profiles but nothing happens. When you are in your favorites list page there is no reference to what profile is used. I just don't get it!

The profile you are currently working with is shown at the very top left corner of the Sentinel window.

ALL favorites lists are in ALL profiles. Use the profile editor to determine which ones are sent to the scanner and which ones you want to monitor or not.

Any profiles other than the default "Preset" profile are ones you created.

Plenty of info here:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
The profile you are currently working with is shown at the very top left corner of the Sentinel window.

ALL favorites lists are in ALL profiles. Use the profile editor to determine which ones are sent to the scanner and which ones you want to monitor or not.

Any profiles other than the default "Preset" profile are ones you created.

Plenty of info here:

OK thanks, I do see the profile name where you said it would be. But I still don't know how to USE a profile seeing that ALL FL's are in ALL profiles! So if I want to create a NEW profile, I see how I do that. SO if I want to make a NEW FL in that NEW profile, do I go to FILE>open, and OPEN the NEW profile, the DELETE the FL that is in it to put the NEW FL? I don't see the sense in having a FL in every profile. I would rather keep things totally separated to avoid confusion.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
OK thanks, I do see the profile name where you said it would be. But I still don't know how to USE a profile seeing that ALL FL's are in ALL profiles! So if I want to create a NEW profile, I see how I do that. SO if I want to make a NEW FL in that NEW profile, do I go to FILE>open, and OPEN the NEW profile, the DELETE the FL that is in it to put the NEW FL? I don't see the sense in having a FL in every profile. I would rather keep things totally separated to avoid confusion.
If you delete a favorites list in any of your profiles, it will be deleted from ALL of your profiles.

You will learn a lot at the link I posted, plus the forums are searchable, and there are MANY posts on the forums explaining profiles and their use.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was watching The Scanner Guys on YouTube the other night. The bulk of their show Wednesday was dedicated to Sentinel software and they discussed Profiles.

What you want to do goes against the grain of the Sentinel system. Favorites Lists are things you create which is a collection of frequencies, systems, etc. that you are interested in hearing. A Favorites List can be compared to hand tools such as wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. Each tool has a specific purpose.

As you go to do a project, you select those tools you think you might need to get the job done. You put those tools in some type of container, be it your pants pocket, a 5 gallon bucket or a tool satchel. Those containers would be your profile. In the container are your tools.

If you go about your project and you have a tool that you don't need, you could throw it away I suppose. But then the tool is not longer available for another project. Again the "tools" in this analogy are the Favorites Lists.

In Profiles, you choose which Favorites Lists are used (sent to the scanner) by setting Download Off.

I probably have a dozen profiles for different scanners and different scanning situations, like trips. I have 30+ Favorites Lists. Some Profiles use some Favorites Lists, while other Profiles do not.

About like anything with moderns scanners - a lot of ways to do things and you just need to practice and test them.

gmcrash1

Premium Subscriber
If you want all the scanners to be programmed the same can you just use 1 Profile for all the scanners. I have three scanners BCD536HP, SDS100, and SDS200.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I would recommend 3 separate profiles, one for each model scanner. You might select the appropriate "Target Model" for best performance.

Everything else is the same, other than the Opening Message, but that is kind of optional. You can open the Profile and do a couple of "Save As" and then change the Target Model and Opening Screen.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion, it defines the parameters of the radio's behavior. For instance, when I travel, I have several profiles depending on the destination.

After you set up Favorites, you need to tell the radio what you want to monitor & download. In my situation, I have around 50 different Favorites. I have Dallas County, Midland-Odessa, Fort Worth, Oklahoma statewide trunking, and other Favorites I don't want to hear on my trip to west Texas.

I hope this helps. This is how I fly.

Attachments

• Profile-Scan Selection tab.jpg
    Profile-Scan Selection tab.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 70

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That's what I did in the beginning - a separate Profile for each scanning scenario. All use the same Favorites Lists, whether the FL is on depends on the scanning scenario.

About a year ago, I switched gears. Now I'm using startup/configuration keys in all my scanners. So instead of reprogramming a scanner every time I go somewhere, I'll power the scanner down, then back on while holding down the appropriate configuration key. Key 1 does my home area, Key 2 does my home area plus a little more, Key 3 is for up north, Key 4 is for down south and Key 0 has all FLs turn on.

So far, so good.

That's the neat thing about these scanners - so many ways of accomplishing desired results.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
That's what I did in the beginning - a separate Profile for each scanning scenario. All use the same Favorites Lists, whether the FL is on depends on the scanning scenario.

About a year ago, I switched gears. Now I'm using startup/configuration keys in all my scanners. So instead of reprogramming a scanner every time I go somewhere, I'll power the scanner down, then back on while holding down the appropriate configuration key. Key 1 does my home area, Key 2 does my home area plus a little more, Key 3 is for up north, Key 4 is for down south and Key 0 has all FLs turn on.

So far, so good.

That's the neat thing about these scanners - so many ways of accomplishing desired results.

I attempted to understand the configuration keys. I guess it is due to my reading impairment. When I attempted to use these, it blew my mind.

I have a question. So, you can go to one of these keys and loaded up Favorites for that particular assignment. Like my county residence for 0 and and a nearby city for one without it affecting profile? When I see all of those Favorites loading up below one of those check boxes, it creates brain freeze or "cognitive cotton between the ears." LOL.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It took a little while for all this to "sink in" for me, too.

There are 10 startup/configuration keys. Each Favorites List can be assigned to one or more startup/configuration key. When you press a startup/configuration key, all the Favorites Lists that have been assigned to that are loaded.

Here is the hitch, which goes to your question: If you attempt to Load a Favorites List via the startup configuration key, I presume the Profile settings will take precedence. So if Favorites List Y is assigned to Startup key X. and the applicable Profile has Favorites List Y set to Monitor Off, Favorites List Y will not be monitored.

It's probably something you just got to mess with to see what happens and become comfortable with. If worst comes to worst, just uncheck startup key checkboxes and you are where you started.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
How do you toggle the configuration keys on and off? Would you make a separate profile for each of your configurations of favorites?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It is simple. Power down the scanner. Then press and hold the button desired startup key number and turn the power back on. You will see a message to the effect the startup key is being loaded. You can then release the button.

Nothing needs to be done with Profiles.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
One more thing. How do you utilize the function of start up keys when you radio was not sent in for the internal clock campaign? Also, when the Favorites are loaded into the radio, can you toggle them on and off as well using the Favorite numbers?

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
One more thing. How do you utilize the function of start up keys when you radio was not sent in for the internal clock campaign? Also, when the Favorites are loaded into the radio, can you toggle them on and off as well using the Favorite numbers?

Start up keys have nothing to do with the repair campaign for the clock...
The clock is used to time and date stamp recordings when you enable it...

If you have favorite lists numbered, yes you can toggle them on and off that way...

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber

If you have favorite lists numbered, yes you can toggle them on and off that way...

What I meant was, after the radio has loaded, up

Here is what I did with this "internal clock issue" 436HP. Yes, I know the internal clock has nothing to do with the start up keys. However, I was concerned about what I would see after holding the associated start up key. I thought I would first see the prompt for setting the clock, as usual; however, I was surprised and delighted to see the only thing loaded was the start up key I selected. Since I set the time earlier, the clock prompt did not show. I suppose, if it does show, I can ignore the prompt and set the clock afterward.

Thanks for the help. Yes, this will certainly simplify the mass toggles I do with the 60 or so Favorites I have. I set profiles according to long trips. I get sick and tired of attempting to watch the road and toggle these favorites on and off.

I have one remaining question. In Sentinel, I can review the numbering of my favorites on the Profile page.

Is there a place to review the assignment of various configuration keys without having to go into each Favorite and look?

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
GPS is your friend on road trips.

Well, I thought I would like that feature; however, that annoying square plug takes the joy out of such. I prefer using zip codes while I drive instead hooking that device up. I hardly ever use it. Longer trips may bring it out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.