Sentinel Range Setting VS Scanner Range Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
Confused on this topic.

So lets say in Sentinel I have everything Set to X for a RANGE (X = 10 miles)
Now its all uploaded to my SDS100;

Then I go back into scanner and Manually Change the "Set RANGE" to Y (Y = 20 miles)

Is this now changing what I just Uploaded from Sentinel ? (Everything is now 20 miles)

OR is now Y in addition to X ?

Or quite possibly I am missing something all together !?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Confused on this topic.

Then I go back into scanner and Manually Change the "Set RANGE" to Y (Y = 20 miles)

Is this now changing what I just Uploaded from Sentinel ? (Everything is now 20 miles)

Setting a range, either in your profile, or on the scanner itself through the key pad, only changes the range the scanner uses to determine which entrys are enabled, and which are not, if you are using location control. It does not effect the range you find for individual departments or sites. So, you you set it, in your profile, as ten miles (X), then the scanner would use that range to activate the channels, & sites, that are within the range as set. Changing it on the scanner to 20 miles (Y) pushes out the range circle and more departments & sites are enabled.

However, range, as used by the scanner, is based on the range you set for the scanner, plus the range for the site or department, that you find in the Location information for that entity. If you have a range, in the scanner, of ten miles, and there is a site (pr department) more than ten miles from you (but 20 or less miles from your location), that system would be scanned of the range circle of your scanner (the setting being used), and the range circle of the agency (or site) overlap.

See How it Works: Location, Location, Location
for a more complete explanation of how it works.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Confused on this topic.

The simple answer to your question is both settings, the one in the Sentinel Program and the one in the scanner menu are the same. You are going to get reply’s that include the term “location”... where the responder is giving you every aspect of what they perceive affects “Range”. That’s all good stuff but I believe you were simply asking if both settings do the same thing... they do. The software program allows us the ability to back up all scanner settings and parameters to the computer. It does NOT have settings that have the same names (as the settings in the scanner) but do something else.

The basic function of the software Is to provide a backup of the settings we have set in our scanners. Equally important is the ability to not only “read“ from the scanner for backup reasons but to “write” to the scanner also.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The Range setting in Sentinel (Edit Profile>Location Settings) establishes a "Global" Range observed by the scanner. This is how far a scanner will reach out to attempt to listen to something. Once you have programmed your scanner, you can change that Global Range by pressing Rang(e) on the keypad and entering a new value.

There is a second Range which is a Site or Department Specific Range. It is associated with sites and departments. This is preliminarily set by the full database but can be modified by editing a Favorites List either with Sentinel or going through the menu. Any changes you make this way pertain only to the specific Site or Department and won't affect that Global Range.

Department and Site Specific Ranges work in conjunction with the Global Range.

Two scenarios to consider:

1. Global Range 0 and Department/Site Range set to 30. When you get within 30 miles of the lat/long of that Department/Site, the scanner will begin attempting to receiving the Department/Site. It will continue to attempt to receive until you get 30 miles away.

2. Global Range 10 and Department/Site Range set to 30. When you get within 40 miles (10 + 30) of the lat/long of that Department/Site, the scanner will begin attempting to receiving the Department/Site. It will continue to attempt to receive until you get 40 miles away.

Kind of like in the How it Works web page, the Department/Site Range is one circle. The scanner's Global Range is another circle. Whenever the circles overlap, the scanner attempts to receive.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The Range setting in Sentinel (Edit Profile>Location Settings) establishes a "Global" Range observed by the scanner. This is how far a scanner will reach out to attempt to listen to something. Once you have programmed your scanner, you can change that Global Range by pressing Rang(e) on the keypad and entering a new value.

There is a second Range which is a Site or Department Specific Range. It is associated with sites and departments. This is preliminarily set by the full database but can be modified by editing a Favorites List either with Sentinel or going through the menu. Any changes you make this way pertain only to the specific Site or Department and won't affect that Global Range.

Department and Site Specific Ranges work in conjunction with the Global Range.

Two scenarios to consider:

1. Global Range 0 and Department/Site Range set to 30. When you get within 30 miles of the lat/long of that Department/Site, the scanner will begin attempting to receiving the Department/Site. It will continue to attempt to receive until you get 30 miles away.

2. Global Range 10 and Department/Site Range set to 30. When you get within 40 miles (10 + 30) of the lat/long of that Department/Site, the scanner will begin attempting to receiving the Department/Site. It will continue to attempt to receive until you get 40 miles away.

Kind of like in the How it Works web page, the Department/Site Range is one circle. The scanner's Global Range is another circle. Whenever the circles overlap, the scanner attempts to receive.
Good to know going forward. But I still think his question was basic... He didn’t elaborate but your explanation should be well received.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Short answer:
Add the global Range setting and the site/department range setting. If the total range distance is greater than the actual distance between the scanner location and the object location, the object will be enabled. If not, the object is avoided.

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so the short answer is kinda what I was thinking. The two "Ranges" are added together.

Thanks!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but if you are looking to begin listening to a given "something" sooner than what the RR database has for its range, it's better to change that specific "something's" range. Otherwise you could pull in a lot more things than desired.

A Department's range is supposed to be set so that it approximates the entity's service area. That is so you won't be scanning a city until you are in the city, even though the city's radio system has enough horsepower to be heard much farther away.

Status
Not open for further replies.