Sentinel: Renaming "Custom" Service Types

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
In Sentinel, I've noticed that there are several "Custom" service tags. Is there any way to rename these?

SCPD

QRT
yes

In Sentinel, I've noticed that there are several "Custom" service tags. Is there any way to rename these?

On the radio you just go to edit custom and select name E is enter and erase,knob changes letters and 6 moves the cursor forward.I looked at the sentinel,I dont see the search options in there.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
On the radio you just go to edit custom and select name E is enter and erase,knob changes letters and 6 moves the cursor forward.I looked at the sentinel,I dont see the search options in there.

Is there any way to do this in Sentinel, or can you only do it on the scanner?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Do you mean

#1 change the Custom1 service type itself?

#2 Or change the service type on a line item?

You can't do #1 - can #2 in Sentinel

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

The names of the service types can not be changed.... either in the scanner, or in Sentinel.

As phask notes, you can change the service type assigned to an agency, but you have to stick with the service type names provided.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
The names of the service types can not be changed.... either in the scanner, or in Sentinel.

As phask notes, you can change the service type assigned to an agency, but you have to stick with the service type names provided.

Thanks. That answers my question.

SCPD

QRT
Custom Service NAMES can be changed my 536Hp has :
1 is 144MHZ search 145-147.995 range
2 is 220MHZ search 223-224.995
3 is 440MHZ search 440-449.995
is what I entered on the scanner.

The service TYPES like FIRE DISPATCH can not be changed,but the custom ones CAN be changed like Custom 1,2,3 etc. But THAT has nothing to do with search .....

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Custom Service NAMES can be changed my 536Hp has :
1 is 144MHZ search 145-147.995 range
2 is 220MHZ search 223-224.995
3 is 440MHZ search 440-449.995
is what I entered on the scanner.

The service TYPES like FIRE DISPATCH can not be changed,but the custom ones CAN be changed like Custom 1,2,3 etc. But THAT has nothing to do with search .....

The OP never talked about search at all.

And the "custom ones" cannot be changed. You can't make "Custom 1" turn into "Drag Racing" or anything like that.

JoeyC

I've asked that the ability to edit these be included in a firmware revision. I won't hold my breath though.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Put my vote down for this to be changed in a future firmware release. We should be able to change these custom service tags to whatever we like, and in my opinion, we should have between 5 and 10 of them to use for our own purposes... Remember that these are potentially visible for every single transmission that comes across the screen of our scanner, so it makes sense to be able to utilize this functionality in a strong way.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If I was a betting guy, re-naming Custom Service types may present some unintended consequences. I imagine that there are some specific rules in the database controlling the number of characters in the field that contains Service Types.

For example, the field may be limited to 15 characters. If someone re-names "Custom 1" to "My Local Fire Departments" which is about 25 characters, it might give the scanner a big headache. Kinda like putting 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag.

freqhopping

The service type tags don't exist as text in the favorite list files. There are numbers that correspond to each service type. The software and scanner read that number and display the corresponding text that is programmed in the software and scanner.

Some of these are:
2=Law Dispatch
7= Law Tac
23=Law Talk
26=Transportation
30=Military
208=Custom 1
209=Custom 2
210=Custom 3
211=Custom 4
212=Custom 5
213=Custom 6
214=Custom 7
215=Custom 8

I don't see them changing the software and firmware to make these custom numbers show up as something different.

JoeyC

It wouldn't do any good to change a service type. They are controlled by the
RadioReference database.

Not true.
All service types assigned by RR can be changed by the user if desired. Besides that, it is not that people want to change the RR issued service type more than they want to assign Custom service types to use as customized filters.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Suggestions for additional Service Types:

Farming or Agriculture
Forestry
Fish & Wildlife or Fish & Game
Marine
Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.