Sentinel Running in Wine (linux): It works!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

royldean

I've finally spent a few minutes to try and figure this out. Using the link below (using winecfg to define the "drive"), I am seeing some progress and functionality:

How to mount USB flash drive to WINE?

In particular, this answer:
Good news: Wine supports USB flash drives!
Even more good news: it might be super easy!
1. run winecfg
2. go to the "Drives" tab
3. click "Add..."
4. chose your favorite letter
5. find the "Path:" text field and click the "Browse..." button next to that
6. find wherever your operating system has mounted the flash drive. In Ubuntu it'll be under /media
7. select your flash drive's mount point (if you're using YUMI it'll probably be called "MULTIBOOT".
8. click "OK" and then "OK" again.
9. Run YUMI or whetever Windows program you were using your flash drive with.

Note there are some shenanigans going on in that winecfg setup (I set the drive up, and it seems to be listed twice after running Sentinel once), but it seems to work so far (able to update the master database, download from the scanner, says firmware is up to date, etc.). I'll report back if I learn more.

AK4MO

I just installed Sentinel through Wine for the Mac. I didn't have any trouble accessing the scanner as a USB device. It does generally work, but it crashes a lot. It consistently crashes when editing a favorites list. It usually just quits abruptly, but once gave a message about using something after it was disposed. Is there some wine option that could make it more stable?

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I know this thread is a few months old. I'm attempting to use Sentinel via Wine on Linux Mint. I can't seem to get Sentinel to see the scanner. I've tried using the cable and the card reader. I'm a total Linux noob, but, I do have Wine configured to use the usb port and card via the reader. I can only assume I'm still missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This is all great news, but I would caution everyone not to use this configuration/setup to do the firmware updates/upgrades. Should it not run smoothly you could end of with a brick. Maybe after it's been perfected tried, tested and proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.