Sentinel Software Feature Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I just bought a 436HP scanner, installed Sentinel, and downloaded the database. It's a great feature, but IMO it's missing an important element:

The ability to upload newly-discovered systems & frequencies back to the Uniden/RR database.

I understand that if I'm scanning and run across a new system or ham repeater or whatever, I can manually submit that to the RR database, and the data will eventually propagate to the Uniden database. But it would be a lot more convenient if new discoveries were tagged with the GPS coordinates of the scanner (or at least the ZIP code the scanner is using as its location) and then when the scanner is synced with Sentinel, the user had the option to submit the new stuff to the Uniden database, and then from there to RR's database.

This auto-submitted data might need some vetting before going live, such as consolidating the GPS coordinates of multiple submissions for the same repeater to calculate more realistic location and radius values for the entry in the database. For example, if a repeater is being detected in 3 counties, it would need a larger radius value than one that can only be heard in one city. Also, it might be necessary to require a minimum number of auto-submits for a frequency/area to go live, to filter out spurious hits. If one user says something is there, it probably is, but they might have had their squelch set too low or something. But if the 20 users report activity on a frequency in an area, that's pretty solid data.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Another glaring omission in Sentinel:

There is no way to search the database or a favorites list for a keyword or frequency. When I get a Close Call hit on 155.250, it would be nice to be able to search the database and get a list of entities using that frequency, sorted by proximity to my current location. If I'm in West Virginia, I'm more interested in how West Virginia is using 155.250 than California or Arizona. Right now, Close Call is semi-useless because every hit just goes to the Quick Save Favorites island of misfit frequencies, and unless the traffic identifies what they are, they are total mystery meat. When something is auto-saved to Quick Save Favorites, it should be labeled with the closest geographical match for that frequency in the database by default.

And if I'm going to a Boy Scout jamboree, it would be nice to get a list of database matches to "scout" sorted by proximity that I could add to a favorite list, as opposed to having to click through 200+ nodes in the WV State Interoperability Radio Network system tree looking for it manually.

troymail

Silent Key
Uniden software has always been very basic and feature poor. They leave that to second party vendors like Butel (who probably do a better job at it anyway). You're more likely to get a feature request fulfilled by other than Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.