Sentinel: Sentinel Software Programing

lou-jr

I have three Uniden scanners and have programmed them using sentinel software. I find that my SDS100 works best as far as programming. Can someone explain how to use and set quick keys and number tags. I have looked for a good video on this but have not found one. Second question is with three scanners which is SDS100, BCD436 and BCD536, I can program all three the same but the 536 will not receive Carroll County Maryland when I am in Pennsylvania which is only 15 to 20 miles away. Both other radios do receive Carroll okay.
Thanks, lou-jr

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Quick Keys turn "things" On or Off. Number Tags allow you to jump to a specific channel.

Quick Keys:
A Favorites List Quick Key ("FLQK") can be likened to a file cabinet. It is the "lock" for the cabinet. FLQKs are set in the Options tab of the Favorites List Editor in Sentinel.

A System Quick Key ("SQK") is like a drawer for the file cabinet. (This kind of file cabinet can have 100 drawers though). SQKs are set in the Options tab (System part) of the Favorites List Editor.

A Department Quick Key ("DQK") is like a file folder in the drawer of the file cabinet. (Channels are pieces of paper in the file folder). While you can have more than 99 Departments, you can only have 99 DQKs. So if you have more than 99 Departments, you'll have to "double up" on DQKs. They are set in the Options tab for the Department in the Favorites List Editor. If you have a trunked system, you can assign Quick Keys to Sites. They are set at the Department Level.

Assigning Quick Keys, is a memory exercise, so I suggest using whatever is easiest on the memory. (I use create "cheat sheets" and save on my smart phone.)

To "operate" Quick Keys, it is a key press sequence. That sequence is FF.SS.DD eYes. FF is the FLQK, SS is the SQK and DD is the DQK. The periods are important separators so as not to confuse the scanner. So a Favorites List with a FLQK of 11, containing a System with a SQK of 22, which contains a Department with a DQK of 33 would be toggled by keying in 11.22.33 eYes. (eYes is the Enter button.)

If you have a Single digit Quick Key (any kind), you can omit the leading 0. So instead of 01 for a Quick Key, you can shortcut that by 1.

Bear in mind that in order to access a file folder (DQK), you have to open the drawer (SQK) and the file cabinet has to be unlocked (FLQK). However you can turn an entire Favorites List On/Off, by entering just the FLQK. Same with System Quick Keys.

These things take a little practice, kind of like tying shoes. A struggle at first, but after you learn how, you just do it and not think too much.

Number Tags:
With Number Tags, you are essentially creating an "address" for a channel so you can immediately jump to it. The City and State is the Favorites List Number Tag. The System Number Tag is street name. The Channel Number Tag is the House Number.

While you are free to choose your own numbers for Number Tagging, I use the same digits for my Favorites List Number Tags as I do the FLQK. Easier to remember. The same for System Number Tags. Channel Number Tags is something easy to remember.

Favorites List and System Number Tags are set in the same screen, one field is below the other. Channel Number Tags are set in the right pane along with all the other channel information.

To do make the Number Tag happen, you have to stop scanning by pressing the "Channel" button (the Hold). Then you have to enter the "address" of the desired channel. That would be FF.SS.CC where FF is the Favorites List Number Tag, SS is the System Number Tag and CC is the Channel Number Tag. Then press Channel button again to finish the operation. Again the periods are important separators.

So to recap:

Channel
FF.SS.CC
Channel

You notice there is no Number Tag for Departments.