Sentinel Software question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
If this has been requested/brought up before then please accept my apologies ahead of time, I couldn't find any topics when I did a search for it. If I may suggest, to add a feature in the Sentinel software, similar to Whistler's EZ-Scan with the TRX models, in regards to recordings maybe add the option to list the recording my channel/talkgroup name, date, time, radio ID, etc... It would make it ALOT easier than having to scroll thru dozens of recordings to find the one you want. Thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There are several third-party audio players that already do that

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
There are several third-party audio players that already do that

For the BCD536HP audio recordings there are several players that can interpret the date, time, talkgroup/channel, and radio ID of the recordings like the Whistler EZ-Scan for TRX does? If so, please tell me which ones cuz I’ve been searching above and beyond and can’t find anything... Thanks!

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! I will try it out after I leave my proctologist appt at the Dentist! ;) LOL

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
before the end on one recording have been reach it begins to play the next file and makes a terrible audio mess.

The playback overlap is a setting you can adjust or disable.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Ubbe - if you mean MM does not show TG - it does. Not sure - but I think freq. is on there as well. I use it to find Radio Id (the conductor field)

I do not have it on this PV (yet) so can't confirm.

You need to chose the fields though.
From my notes.
Artist = system name Genre = department name Title = channel name Comment = talkgroup ID (including "TGID: ####") Conductor = radio ID ISRC = tone
FWIW - Jay911 suggested it to me several years ago.

I like that you can sort in different ways so it is easy to delete the 1 and 2 sec recordings.
It doesn't show any frequencies or TGIDs and before the end on one recording have been reach it begins to play the next file and makes a terrible audio mess.

/Ubbe

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I like that you can sort in different ways so it is easy to delete the 1 and 2 sec recordings.
It doesn't show any frequencies or TGIDs and before the end on one recording have been reach it begins to play the next file and makes a terrible audio mess.

/Ubbe

MediaMonkey, being meant for music libraries, is not really meant for cataloging our recordings, but I use it every week to sort all the files from my two HP1s, 436, and 536 all at once.

I have a folder on my PC called "Scanner Recordings", in which I have four subfolders, "436", "536", "HP1 Work", and "HP1 Home". When I plug in my scanners to do the weekly database update, I navigate on their SD cards to the folder \HomePatrol\audio\user_rec\ (or \BCDx36HP\audio\user_rec\), then cut and paste (or move) all the folders in that folder to the appropriate folder in \Scanner Recordings\. That moves the files all onto my computer and off the scanner.

Then when I run MM after copying all the files, I just point it at \Scanner Recordings\ and choose the 'All' option in the media tree. That will show me all the recordings from all the scanners, all at once.

The following columns will show the following data items in MM:

Artist - shows the System Name.
Genre - shows the Department Name.
Title - shows the Channel Name.
Conductor - shows the UID or Alias (on a trunk system).
Comment - on the HP1, shows the TG ID, i.e. '304' instead of Channel Name 'C13 North Dispatch'.
Album - Always either HomePatrol or BCDx36HP depending on your scanner.
Album Artist - Always the same as Artist (System Name).
Date - Always the current year.
Track # - Always the current year.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. If you don't have some of these columns in your display, you can customize it to see them. Right-click on any of the headings (i.e. "Title") and you will get a pick list of what columns you want to see (it scrolls because there are so many possibilities). Personally, I show: Artist, Genre, Title, Conductor, Path, Length, File Size, and Comment, in that order. Just click on them to select/de-select them.

There's one item you cannot display on the main view in MM and that is the discovered Tone/DCS/NAC/Color Code. You have to go into File Properties to see it, and it's on the second page (Details) under data tag ISRC. Quick way to get to this is to highlight a file (recording), press Shift+Enter, and then right arrow once. From the Details page, you can scroll up and down through your list of recordings with Alt+LeftArrow or Alt+RightArrow.

Note in my experience you may find some files with very small file sizes with ridiculously large duration/lengths - i.e. 612 bytes and 74 hours in length. I typically throw everything under 1 second (between 16 and 18 kilobtyes) away, as they're too short for me to discover anything useful from them.

If you were using ID Scan mode on a trunk system, you may see the title (channel name) come up as part of a date, instead of "Unknown" or the TGID. I believe this is because the channel name is blank (null) in the saved file off the scanner. Same happens when you get CC (Close Call) hits. They appear as the most recent system the radio received, plus a null title/channel name.

The one thing that MM does not show, and I wish I knew why, is the (relatively) new slot, color, TG, and UID that you get on DMR conventional channels with a blank/default channel name. I don't think Uniden is using a standard metadata tag to carry that info.

To get around the issue with recordings playing one after the other and overlapping one another (aka "crossfade"), you have to tweak a couple settings in MediaMonkey itself. I personally prefer that the program only play the one file I have highlighted, rather than playing them all in sequential order. So go to Tools>Options in the MM title bar, then go to the Player heading in the tree to the left of that window. Make sure "Default 'Double-Click' Action" (in the right side pane) is set to "Play Now". Then, in the left tree, go to "Playback Rules", and make the "'Play Now' Action" (on the right) set to "Clear list & play selected only". Those settings will let it play only the file you have highlighted, which you can play by double-clicking it or pressing Enter when it's highlighted.

If you'd prefer to have it play a bunch of files in a row automatically, Change the "'Play Now' Action" to "Clear list & play selected + subsequent", then above that, put a checkmark in the box marked "Disable Crossfading". That will make it play one entire file and then play the next, without overlapping them.

Ubbe

I try MM with a search file and it shows a DMR systems name and nothing else when it hits analog frequencies. From your description it seems MM lacks any way of showing a frequency or TGID, it can only display name tags. In the detail page I can see the colour code of a DMR system but besides that I can only see the channels name tag of the DMR system.

The result for Media Monkey and HP wave player is that you can play the recorded files but you cannot see the frequency and TGID from the files, at best it shows name tags. So, No, there isn't any working substitute to be used instead of Unidens own player.

/Ubbe

troymail

Silent Key
I try MM with a search file and it shows a DMR systems name and nothing else when it hits analog frequencies. From your description it seems MM lacks any way of showing a frequency or TGID, it can only display name tags. In the detail page I can see the colour code of a DMR system but besides that I can only see the channels name tag of the DMR system.

The result for Media Monkey and HP wave player is that you can play the recorded files but you cannot see the frequency and TGID from the files, at best it shows name tags. So, No, there isn't any working substitute to be used instead of Unidens own player.

/Ubbe

If I remember correctly, from what I've seen in the recording headers themselves (I've developed my own simple application to display the header data), the Uniden headers will only show the talkgroup alpha tag or the TGID but not both. If you've labeled the TG, the header will only store the alpha tag. The TGID is only stored if there is no alpha tag.

Also - for at least the x36, unless it was changed recently (I haven't looked all that closely for a while), the trunking frequency isn't provided anywhere during the live audio. Again, from what I recall, it doesn't get stored in the recording header under normal conditions either.

Frequency values will be recorded for other things like search, etc.

So - some of this goes deeper than the recordings.

troymail

Silent Key
To follow up on my previous, I just poked around in a raw recording header again. For trunked systems, frequencies are not captured in the header (unless in binary form and I haven't found them).

Looking at live voice calls using the trial version of ProScan, it seems they've added a frequency field which is not part of the native scanner display.

Note: some of us asked for more display options long ago to allow the frequencies as a user option but... well. Maybe in the next radio.

There is a field that I've played with (ICOP) which I finally just figured out is the "Copyright" field/column in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately, the field length is set to 16 which only allows you to view those 16 characters (a string of ****************). Changing the field length in the raw header data doesn't help much because, like most of the fields, the data the follows contains lots of nulls which truncated the data in many viewers.

This field (to me) has always looked like some type of "scratch pad" but probably has other purposes. The field changes alot depending upon what (system type, etc.) created the recording.

Also - I now recall that like the talkgroup names vs. values, the unit ID seems to be an either/or as well. In the display below, I ended up adding an external "lookup table" to map the units.

Attachments

• recanal2.jpg
    recanal2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 415

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes it does. It has an entire tab dedicated to Radio ID logging.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yes it does. It has an entire tab dedicated to Radio ID logging.

It does not id audio recordings with UID - which is what this thread was originally.

I've communicated with Bob, but the way it does work (recording etc.) is not possible/reliable. For determining unknown UID I still rely on a dedicated HP1 - dump to MediaMonkey. For audio recording and listening - Proscan.

Off topic - but I use a Procomm96, Proscan and HP1 w/ MM for keeping current, 3 tools, some overlap, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.