Sentinel suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
1. Allow renaming a Favorite. Currently I do this in the radio, and import it back into Sentinel. I think doing an .HPE export/import also does it.
2. Spell "Barecat" correctly (default opening message).

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
1. Allow renaming a Favorite. Currently I do this in the radio, and import it back into Sentinel. I think doing an .HPE export/import also does it.

Why not just click on the Sentinel menu Icon for re-naming a favorites list?

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
Darn icons

Why not just click on the Sentinel menu Icon for re-naming a favorites list?
Aha! There it is! Thank you!

I normally use menu pull-downs for actions, not icons. Why? Because it's easier to remember English words (like "Rename" ???) than dumb images (and my vision isn't as good as it used to be). Otherwise, you have to scan (oops, "search") the mouse-overs (tool-tips) for each icon, and then remember the icon. I normally ignore icon lists when learning a product. "Rename" could be under "edit", AND in the pop-up menu when you click on a name. Normally, having multiple ways to do something is good.

OK, change my comment to "Have corresponding menu items for each icon."

Bonus points: Once Uniden has done the above, have another option to hide all of the icons.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Aha! There it is! Thank you!

I normally use menu pull-downs for actions, not icons. Why? Because it's easier to remember English words (like "Rename" ???) than dumb images (and my vision isn't as good as it used to be). Otherwise, you have to scan (oops, "search") the mouse-overs (tool-tips) for each icon, and then remember the icon. I normally ignore icon lists when learning a product. "Rename" could be under "edit", AND in the pop-up menu when you click on a name. Normally, having multiple ways to do something is good.

OK, change my comment to "Have corresponding menu items for each icon."

Bonus points: Once Uniden has done the above, have another option to hide of the icons.

Ii have a very similar issue - I think it's an icon dyslexia or some such.. I did some investigating way back when visual interfaces started and I was training users. Some went right for it, others slowly - like myself. I still detest icons and find I can read it and find it much faster.

Agree that Sentinel has some quirks that take some getting used to.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
2. Spell "Barecat" correctly (default opening message).

Change the opening message in Sentinal

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
Purpose?

Change the opening message in Sentinal
I'm reporting a bug, not that I don't know how to change it (hence the use of the word "default" in my OP).

I do cut someone some slack on a forum, where most of us (especially myself) make typos. However, in a released product, I wonder if this is a lack of QC, or a joke by the programmer.

Last edited:

AE7Q

Premium Subscriber
Bugs?

1. Enforce in Sentinel the fact that two Favorite lists cannot have the same Quick Key. This is enforced in the radio when you make a change, and implied in the manual, but I had to try it, and Sentinel allows it.

2. When first started listening to aviation frequencies, I found that I was missing the first part of each transmission. A quick check verified that it was the 400ms P25-detect delay (as noted in the manual). Of course, one can reset the P25 delay to zero for AM-only systems, OR on mixed systems, one can change (for each frequency) the Audio Type from "Search" to "CTCSS Search". That's not really an intuitive setting for AM modulation.

And one suggestion: When editing a list of channels, if one right-clicks on a column title, bring up the dialog box for the settings for that column, and have the setting saved to every entry in that column. Right now, the best way I found is to:

1. Click on the entry for that column, and make the change to that entry.
2. Press Ctrl-C to copy that setting.
3. While that entry is still highlighted, hold the shift key down and press the down-arrow key until you have selected the range you want to change. You can also hold the shift key down and click on the entry at the end of the range, but then you must press Esc to dismiss a second dialog box (for the last entry only), before the next step.
4. Press Ctrl-V to copy the first setting to each entry in that range.

That's not bad, but if you want to make changes to a bunch of departments, it could be quicker.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
1. Enforce in Sentinel the fact that two Favorite lists cannot have the same Quick Key. This is enforced in the radio when you make a change, and implied in the manual, but I had to try it, and Sentinel allows it.

I can envision a scenario where someone may want to assign the same FLQK to a more than one Favorites List. Then choose which Favorites List to download dependent on profile.

For example a California Favorites List with QK 1 with Download on for California Profile. Then a New York Favorites List with QK 1 with Download On for New Yor Profile (and California FL Download Off).

This might be far-fetched, but puts a little more flexibility in the programmer's hands. The trade off is the responsibility to not duplicate FLQKs.

Still the suggestion has merit, but if possible, I'd recommend some type of pop-up warning window that says "Warning: Duplicate Favorites List Quick Key - not allowed when programming to scanner" or something to that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.