SDS100/SDS200: Sentinel terminology vs USDS100 terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

wja95226

I am new to trunking and have a USDS100 (Australian Versison), the problem I have is understanding the crossover in terminology between the scanner and the Sentinel Software with regard to trunking networks.
The USDS100 manual talks about the following networks:
Motorola Type I
Motorola Type II
Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
Motorola Type II Smartnet
Motorola Type II SmartZone
Motorola Type II SmartZone OmniLink
EDACS
EDACS Standard (Wide)
EDACS Standard Networked
EDACS Narrowband (Narrow)
EDACS Narrowband Networked
EDACS SCAT
EDACS ESK
ProVoice
LTR Standard
APCO Project 25 Standard
Phase I FDMA
Motorola X2-TDMA
Phase II TDMA
LSM systems
DMR
Hytera XPT
MotoTRBO Capacity + and Connect +
DMR Tier III
NXDN
NXDN 4800 + 9600

Where the Sentinel software refers to the networks as:
P25 Trunk
P25 X2-TDMA
P25 One Frequency
Motorola
MotoTRBO Trunk
DMR One Frequency
NXDN Trunk
NXDN One Frequency
EDACS
LTR

Over here in Australia we do not have the luxury of the Uniden Database to copy out of, so we have to program each network manually. When it comes to programming a network, some are straight forward P25 Trunk is APCO Project 25 Standard Phase I FDMA etc, where the trouble lies is with networks where there is no straight crossover in terminology; DMR Tier III, P25 One Frequency and the like.

Can someone please help with an explanation of which network in Sentinel to use against which network in the scanner?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
It will take some time for the replies to be created... you ask for a lot of definitions. While you are waiting I thought I’d pass on this on DMR TDMA;

TDMA allows for two conversations to take place on the same frequency and (it appears to us) at the same time without interfering with each other. Digital packets are sent with info that addresses each to different specific talk groups, keeping them separate. The packets are alternated at such a speed it appears that both conversations are happening at the same time when in fact they are alternating, each packet using only a fraction of a second each
DMR is digital mobile radio. It comes in 3 flavors;

DMR Tier I
DMR Tier I products are specified for non-infrastructure use only (meaning without the use of repeaters).
DMR Tier II
DMR Tier II covers licensed (digital) conventional radio systems, comparable to a VHF or UHF repeater system.
DMR Tier III
DMR Tier III covers trunking operation.

Ubbe

One problem with Uniden are that they try and handle all different flavours of a system automaticly, instead of the user setting the correct format.
That automatic function are difficult to get working perfectly, the same with RAS and Encryptions that are managed automaticly.

The Motorola setting handles all types of I and type II analog.
The EDACS setting handles all variations of EDACS, and so on.

It is supposed to releave the user of trying to figure out what version of system it is, and that's fine, but it really should be an option to set it manually in the scanner.

/Ubbe

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
I am in exactly the same proverbial boat as you, wja95226. I got my USDS100 last year, and have been struggling to work out the Sentinel versus Radio versus Specs for system types. Making things more complicated is I think the point that Ubbe is alluding to - you can't change the system type manually in the scanner. You can make a new system, but, I don't think I've found a way to change it once it is set.

My approach to solving this problem is horrible, inefficient, but, eventually effective.

I tend to put a few frequencies in a Favourites List as "Conventional" and let the scanner work out what it really is. I've found that it actually is pretty good at doing that in most cases, but obviously will miss out on some of the system-specific technical details.

In other cases, I have a Favourites List for WhiskyTangoFoxtrot entries and have several systems defined and put the same frequency in each, and, again, let the USDS100 work out what it thinks it is.

In my case I re-joined the hobby after taking a pause of a few decades, which meant that my analogue-only experience was largely moot for a lot of modern scanning. Wrapping my head around the various flavours of digital has been quite the learning experience.

Thankfully, down here in Victoria there's a community of enthusiasts who maintain resources which help with certain digital and analogue systems, and that's helped considerably -- but, even with that, I often have no idea what the right option is for Motorola, MotoTRBO Trunk, DMR, DMR 1 frequency, etc. I just suss it out through trial and error, and sometimes I'm even right!

dvendt

You guys down under should ralley around each other and start your own form of a RR type database

wja95226

Thank you gdaykola, Ubbe and n1chu for your support and input. I have been experimenting with different systems the way gdaykola suggested and it seems to be the way to go.

Thanks Bill
Admin you can close this thread if you like

Status
Not open for further replies.