BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Sentinel under wine on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

gariac

I'm not sure why the last thread got locked. Hopefully this isn't off topic.

I set up a 32 bit prefix for wine on Opensuse. Sentinel runs but can't find the SD card. The SD card can be found in the usual windows manners, i.e. with file explorer or under drives. (Obviously it can be found from Linux with Dolphin.) The problem is Sentinel doesn't find the scanner/sd card. I can see the scanner with lsusb and could dump data if that is useful. FWIW the SD card is on the F drive for Wine.

N4LX

Premium Subscriber
I’ve spent countless hours searching, reading, experimenting. I don’t think I’ve even come close to finding the solution. Hope you have better luck!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
This has been one of the problems with Wine. Linux doesn't "see" usb the way windows does and I have read and heard many with the same problem, including myself.

N4LX

Premium Subscriber
This has been one of the problems with Wine. Linux doesn't "see" usb the way windows does and I have read and heard many with the same problem, including myself.

Right. The software can’t “see” the scanner the way it needs to in wine. All other Sentinel functionality works as expected. It isn’t a Sentinel issue; ProScan can’t upload to the scanner either.

My solution: dual boot with Sentinel installed on both Windows and Linux. I mount the Sentinel directory in Linux so that both Windows and wine installations use the same data. I do the editing in Linux then boot into Windows to do the upload.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Dual boot or a cheap used laptop for radio software. I picked up a used HP Elitebook i7 with 8 gigs of memory and a 500 GB hard drive for $100 at the local university disposition store. It had a license for Widows 7, which can be upgraded to Widows 10 for free.

gariac

I dual boot now and can see the windows files, so I can go that route. I just got the impression that this was solved from the other thread and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. As an experiment, I set up a SD card reader with the Uniden card inside and Sentinel didn't find it either. Ya know (hint hint) there are windows programmers (hint hint) that design their software to work under wine. With Paul's death I don't know if anyone from Uniden reads radioreference.

Not to turn this into a wine tip thread, I found a good one online. Wine these days has 64 and 32 bit versions. Install them both. Rename the .wine to be .wine64. Rename the .wine32 to be .wine . That makes much of the old wine software easier to use and avoid that "you are using a 64 bit prefix" issue.

And if you have a DMR like the TYT MD380, your Linux software awaits:
editcp (code plug)

Status
Not open for further replies.