Sentinel update question

Status
Not open for further replies.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
They were working before when I had dishnet. I changed to hughesnet plus, I just got done cleaning things out of my downloads and my documents folders. I think I deleted something from my documents folder that may have messed things up. I re-installed Sentinel but, I keep getting the timed out error.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
They were working before when I had dishnet. I changed to hughesnet plus, I just got done cleaning things out of my downloads and my documents folders. I think I deleted something from my documents folder that may have messed things up. I re-installed Sentinel but, I keep getting the timed out error.

Hughesnet is definitely the problem. "The operation has timed out" part of the error is pretty conclusive. They have been a constant problem with FTP transfers (which Sentinel uses for updates) due to the excessive latency in their transfers.

There are quite a few threads on this, going back to when the first Home Patrol was released in 2009. There isn't much you can do, except take a laptop and the SD card to a friend's house or public WiFi where there is a better connection available.

You can search the forums, there are many complaints about Hughesnet.

From just a short time ago...

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
Well, I guess I can use Proscan to import from RR the frequencies etc. and if a firmware update is sent out I can then take my laptop to a place with public wi-fi. would I need to take the scanner also for firmware upgrade? :)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Well, I guess I can use Proscan to import from RR the frequencies etc. and if a firmware update is sent out I can then take my laptop to a place with public wi-fi. would I need to take the scanner also for firmware upgrade? :)

You just need to take the SD card with your laptop. Either use the card reader in the laptop if it has one, or use an external card reader connected to the laptop. When you get home, just put the card back in the scanner and when the scanner boots up, the firmware will be applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.