Sentinel Upgrade for NXDN programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdarinc

I'm sure by now the scanner world is informed about the new NXDN upgrade for the uniden scanners. Any word when Uniden is expected to release an update on the Sentinel software to program the NXDN systems? I have used proscan for the time being but seems faster using Sentinel.

shadcall

If you don't want to wait for Sentinel and want to use software to program NXDN systems you can use Proscan and Arc536. Both support NXDN. You do have to pay but there is a 30 day free trial for both.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I saw earlier that there is an update to Sentinal now for NXDN, but that many people were having issues with it. I'm sure we'll find out when the fix is in!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I saw earlier that there is an update to Sentinal now for NXDN, but that many people were having issues with it. I'm sure we'll find out when the fix is in!
No, Sentinel has not been updated for NXDN as yet. The only version available is still the current 1.07 05.

The update that had issues for many users was a firmware update for the 436HP and 536HP, that included some items specific for NXDN. That update has been removed for further review and corrections. And I'm sure UPMan will advise when changes/corrections have been completed.

tmcmath

Premium Subscriber
NXDN upgrade

I did the NXDN firmware upgrade on my 436hp last week. I have been searching 450 mhz - 470 mhz and haven't pickup a single NXDN signal yet. I have also been searching the railroad frequencies in the Tampa Fl. area. I live in the Tampa FL. Area. I've been listening to the CSX feed so I know there NXDN activity in my area. Is there a way to re - install the NXDN firmware update on the 436hp?

mule1075

Feed Provider
=tmcmath;2920648 Is there a way to re - install the NXDN firmware update?
No reason to reinstall it. Keep searching or find someone in your area that has known frequencies. Have you checked the database for known frequencies?

troymail

Silent Key
No reason to reinstall it. Keep searching or find someone in your area that has known frequencies. Have you checked the database for known frequencies?

For rail, you may find some NXDN activity in the yards but you'll probably need to be fairly close. There's lots of NXDN licenses for rail but limited use from what most have seen and reported (and my personal experience). You can try programming the rail frequencies or doing custom searches from 160-162 Mhz.

I see a few NXDN systems in your area that may or may not be very active:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9830
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7673 (Tampa site - odd as the frequencies may be...)

If you haven't already tried, give Justin's tool a shot. This will give you a list of FCC licneses that are authorized for NXDN but there is no guarantee they are actually using NXDN. At the same time, you might find others in your area using NXDN but not licensed for it.

Generally, NXDN is much less used than DMR.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
For rail, you may find some NXDN activity in the yards but you'll probably need to be fairly close.

So then, is two miles considered close? I see several NXDN frequencies listed for our local Selkirk Rail Yards. I believe most or all current activity remains analog for now, but I've begun a search of the frequency range anyway.

troymail

Silent Key
Close is always a relative term - I'm monitoring two NXDN frequencies in my area (452, 463) - should be pretty wide area coverage... still, my 436 is very hit and miss on reception.... I have 5 bars of reception on a NXDN control channel right now but if I move the radio a couple inches (literally a couple of inches), the signal bars drop to nearly non-existent.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
For VHF Rail, be sure to set for NFM, and you need to be within say 10 miles of base towers, and generally within say 5 miles of trains and mobile units like the trucks etc.... For the yard guys running HTs, you need to be even closer usually, like within 2 miles.

UHF depends on the power used, antenna placement of the transmitting site, and other factors. This is when FCC data Comes in... Are they using an tower that is over 400 feet up? Are they pumping 20, 40, 50 or 100 or more watts? What is the coverage range of the system per the license?

Last edited by a moderator:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
For VHF Rail, be sure to set for NFM, and you need to be within say 10 miles of base towers, and generally within say 5 miles of trains and mobile units like the trucks etc.... For the yard guys running HTs, you need to be even closer usually, like within 2 miles.

UHF depends on the power used, antenna placement of the transmitting site, and other factors. This is when FCC data Comes in... Are they using an tower that is over 400 feet up? Are they pumping 20, 40, 50 or 100 or more watts? What is the coverage range of the system per the license?

The search range is VHF frequencies only, with the modulation set to Auto. I use a roof-mounted discone into my 536. There appear to be several antennas associated with the rail yards, the furthest of which is roughly 3.5 miles. CSX antenna heights range up to 90 ft, for transmission towers to roughly 40 ft. for building-mounted antennas.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Just checking that you purchased and activated the NXDN key as well? It is not just downloading firmware.

chris

I did the NXDN firmware upgrade on my 436hp last week. I have been searching 450 mhz - 470 mhz and haven't pickup a single NXDN signal yet. I have also been searching the railroad frequencies in the Tampa Fl. area. I live in the Tampa FL. Area. I've been listening to the CSX feed so I know there NXDN activity in my area. Is there a way to re - install the NXDN firmware update on the 436hp?

tmcmath

Premium Subscriber
436hp nxdn

Yes I did purchase the nxdn upgrade and did enter the key ok to the 436hp.

dallascowboys

Sentinel update

did I miss something or am I reading posts wrong did the Sentinel update to support NXDN ? sorry for asking this and being stupid about it. just wanting to find out. Already did the firmware when it came out the second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.