BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Sentinel Volume Offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone figured out how to set the volume offset for all talkgroups in a FL at once? I find it better (for me) to have the volume offset set at +3 for most of my systems as I have a jeep and its so much easier to hear when the windows are open or top is down. So I'm trying to find a way to set all of the channels to +3 instead of having to go one by one. Thanks in advance.

marksmith

You have to do it by department.
Change the first record, then ctrl-c (copy), then highlight that field for the rest of the page and ctrl-v
(paste).

You can do a whole favorites list pretty fast.

I find that the volume offset issue is generally not across a whole list, because you are differentiating the general volume from that talkgroup or system. Usually one system is louder than the others, or one talkgroup is louder than the others. That is what offset is for.

If you change an entire list using offset, then all you have really done is turn the general volume up or down a little, and not made the adjustments this feature was designed for.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have always set the volume to +3 for all channels on my 396 and then my 436 as these handhelds just don't have enough volume, especially in a moving vehicle or other high noise environment. I copy/paste using just the mouse and it is very quick. I also change all text to upper case and set my delays to 3 seconds.

marksmith

I have always set the volume to +3 for all channels on my 396 and then my 436 as these handhelds just don't have enough volume, especially in a moving vehicle or other high noise environment. I copy/paste using just the mouse and it is very quick. I also change all text to upper case and set my delays to 3 seconds.
You would accomplish your goal much better by adding a powered external speaker. The 396 particularly is subject to blowing the speaker out at high volumes.

Generally tuning the volume up is the same thing as doing +3 on every channel. If you are going to full volume and then doing the +3, the speaker was not built to take this.

Mark

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Using a powered external speaker is essential on the 436 in an environment such as a automobile, where I have my scanner mounted. Even then, I find that I frequently have to turn the volume up to max (15).

I'm under the impression, though, that setting a channel (or several) to +3 does not give you extra volume beyond 15. Stated another way, setting a channel to +3, volume maxes out at a setting of 12 on the scanner.

marksmith

Using a powered external speaker is essential on the 436 in an environment such as a automobile, where I have my scanner mounted. Even then, I find that I frequently have to turn the volume up to max (15).

I'm under the impression, though, that setting a channel (or several) to +3 does not give you extra volume beyond 15. Stated another way, setting a channel to +3, volume maxes out at a setting of 12 on the scanner.
I think you are probably right about the maximum, as most recommendations on the 396 have been to not exceed 9 or 10 unless you want to risk the speaker.

The volume offset was designed as a means to even the volume output when you have systems, talkgroups, or frequencies where the standard volume results in one of these being high or low compared to others being scanned.

It was never designed to be set on every channel to increase or decrease output for everything. The volume control was designed for that.

Mark

rwier

" ... have the volume offset set at +3 for most of my systems as I have a jeep and its so much easier to hear when the windows are open or top is down ... "

That's gotta be a placebo effect. The idea that a radio volume control with a max setting of say 25 (0-25 range) can be increased by software to 28 doesn't make sense to my primitive mind, lol.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The purpose of volume offsets (+ or -) isn't to raise or lower volume across the board or to give more "horsepower" to all channels.

Rather it is to "even out" certain channels where the volume is inherently too low or high. Sometimes, particularly with P25 channels (analog or trunked) they "seem" to have a tad more volume than a conventional one.

Changing a channel's volume offset keeps a user from having to constantly go to the volume knob to level out the audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.