Sentinel vs ProScan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
So Sentinel is a free program recommended by Uniden for programming their scanners. ProScan is a pay to play program to do the same. I've been using Sentinel for three years with my 536, then added a 200 one year ago. What's the "noticeable" difference?

What's the "noticeable" difference?
See for yourself:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Sentinel is needed for firmware updates. It's also needed for accessing the full HPDB (Uniden DB) (updated weekly) which is derived from the RRDB (Radio Reference DB). If you're a Premium Subscriber, you can import directly from the RRDB in real time. Sentinel is needed for Profile editing. ProScan doesn't have a profile editor as It would be 100% duplication that couldn't be improved on so I could spend time in other areas.

ProScan has extra capabilities that I don't believe Sentinel has such as:
  • Multiple Favorites on the same tree which makes it easy to Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop systems
  • Find Duplicates
  • Find & Replace
  • Import directly from RRDB. RadioReference subscription required
  • Import directly from HPDB
  • Import Win Clipboard or from a RR web page. No RadioReference subscription required
  • Versatile Sorting options
  • Google Maps showing all the systems with circles or rectangles
  • Export nicely formatted web page showing any or all (user selectable) the FQK's, SQK's, Number Tags, and systems
  • Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop nodes to other systems and other ProScan instances
  • SDS200 FTP Read & Write using the Ethernet connection

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Also bear in mind that Uniden created Sentinel to get the scanner functional and update operational needs. Uniden is a hardware manufacturer and not an advanced software creator. While decent software, it is free and you get what you pay for.

ProScan is mostly software doing more complex things once the scanner is updated/operational. ProScan is a software developer and would be a little more "open" to add/update software features. That's probably most of the reason for the cost.

I use Sentinel for some things and ProScan as well as ARC for others. ProScan is better because it works on many models of scanners. ARC is model specific, mostly, so it is more costly in the long haul if you have several different "vintages" of scanners.

joekehoe

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about purchasing Proscan software. However, when I read the manual, I cannot understand it. Please if you have any hints about working the software, please let me know.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about purchasing Proscan software. However, when I read the manual, I cannot understand it. Please if you have any hints about working the software, please let me know.

What type of scanner do you have?
I always advise to try the 30 day fully functional demo/trial. Did you try it yet? What are some of your questions?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

The Proscan software has a free 30 day fully functional trial. The best hint we can give you for such a broad question on the overall workings of the software is to download and install it on your computer, and start by actually using it. As you are going along, if something stumps you, re-read all the available manuals for the scanner, and the Proscan manual... for each problem you encounter. It will be most likely much easier to comprehend what you are seeing in the manuals with the software right there running on your computer.

Then, you can ask here with much more specific questions on specific points that are confusing you.... that way you will get much more accurate answers that will be much more valuable to you.

jasoyeom

I use Sentinel for the basics like firmware upgrade, full database downloads and profiles but I use Proscan for the rest. It's not difficult to use just need the time to get used to it. I like the remote internet features, recording to files with system name and sorting frequencies to name a few. I use the software for my BCD396XT and BCD436HP at the same time which is allowed by the license. It adapts well to each scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think ProScan may be a more "nimble" software than ARC and can do more with regard to streaming to other devices. Plus as previously noted, ProScan can deal with many different models.

ARC or Butel, to me, is a little more user-friendly while I have difficulty with ProScan. So I tend to use ARC a little more. That said, I would suggest someone just starting out, consider ProScan over ARC.

I would love to see more "how to" YouTube videos on ProScan.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
I've searched for the ProScan forum in RRDB drop down menu and can't find it labeled (for direct access). I'd like to follow. All I see are "threads". Anyway, as I try to advance my setup, UID logging/recording in Sentinel and ProScan allows you to do what exactly? I'm thinking you can grab the UID numbers and convert to names? If this is correct can someone show a picture of the display? It seems ProScan is the best way to convert. If so, what path is needed to transfer to both programs. Never tried in Sentinel, only day 3 with paid license of ProScan running SDS200. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.