Sentinel won't download updates from internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaywesley

Hi,

Just installed Sentinel 2.02 in order to update the firmware / database on my BCD536HP, but all weekend and still today it fails, saying:

"Updating xxxx failed.
Operation is canceled.

The operation has timed out."

Everything else internet related is working ok on the computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Just installed Sentinel 2.02 in order to update the firmware / database on my BCD536HP, but all weekend and still today it fails, saying:

"Updating xxxx failed.
Operation is canceled.

The operation has timed out."

Everything else internet related is working ok on the computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Are you by any chance using a satellite service for your internet connection?

chaywesley

No, but it is over a cellular tether. Ping times to ftp.uniden.com are running about 155-250mS. I'm not sure if that's the server it is trying to contact or not, but thought I read that somewhere.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
No, but it is over a cellular tether. Ping times to ftp.uniden.com are running about 155-250mS. I'm not sure if that's the server it is trying to contact or not, but thought I read that somewhere.

That cellular tether could very well be the problem. ftp.homepatrol.com is the server for database updates, and my ping time to there is usually in the high 30s to low 40s ms. Latency issues on a connection will consistently give "the operation has timed out" error message from Sentinel. It is a well documented problem with satellite based ISP services, and goes back to the first release of the Home Patrol 1.

Http traffic to a browser is generally more tolerant of latency than ftp traffic to Sentinel.

Computrguy

I am betting on the cellular connection being too slow - speed or pings. I am in an RV and if my speeds are too slow Sentinel will not successfully complete updates. I either wait for a better location or hit up a public wifi spot with my laptop.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
My sentinel won't update the HPDB either. I'm on a cable modem not satellite and tried with and without VPN. I can successfully browse to ftp://ftp.homepatrol.com.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
My sentinel won't update the HPDB either. I'm on a cable modem not satellite and tried with and without VPN. I can successfully browse to ftp://ftp.homepatrol.com.

See if this link helps.

Make sure you are using the right Sentinel. BCDx36HP / SDSx00 scanners uses the Sentinel with the Green Shield icon.

gkranenborg

I have been having this issue for quite some time now, so I just spend the weekend trying to figure this out. I am using hughesnet as the isp, and have a BCD436HP as well as an SDS200. I can typically get the 436 to update (both firmware as well as the main DB, sometimes after a few tries), but the SDS200 will not update at all.
I started checking the network traffic using tools like Fiddler and WireShark to see what is happening. Through that I noticed that Sentinel certainly is connecting to the homepartol FTP site, it just never even tries to start the actual download. That to me means there is something else going on.

I tried this by connecting the scanner to my laptop using the USB cable, but then I also tried it by using the cardreader with the SD card in it, but no luck at all.

So, next was to check if there was anything I could do with Sentinel to change settings etc. .....and that worked.

Here is what I did :

- First, make sure you have the latest version of Sentinel, I currently have version 2.02 Rev. 01
- Next (if possible) take the SD card and use a card reader and insert that into your laptop. Make sure it is not read-only.
- Once the Windows Explorer shows the folder, right click on the BCD436 folder, go to Properties and make sure to un-check the 'Read only' box.
- Start Sentinel and go to 'Tools' then 'Target Model' and make sure the correct model scanner is checked. (This is the trick that solved my problem)
- Now update the main DB and/or the firmware.
- If there is a firmware update, once completed, take the SD card out of the reader, insert it back into your scanner, and turn the scanner on, it should now start the real firmware update. Let that finish.
- If a main DB download occurred, connect your scanner (after the firmware update is done) via the USB cable, and upload the DB to your scanner, like you always would.

This solved the issue for me, even though I am using Hughesnet ......

Status
Not open for further replies.