Sentinel Won't Open After Update Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elpablo

Hi All, Anyone else having an issue where Sentinel won't open after attempting to update to 2.00.008? I am not sure what version I was using prior but I hadn't updated the program for over a year. I had attempted to update the database but got the dialog box indicated I needed to update the Sentinel program before the DB could be updated. I did download the update and went through the wizard to install. It seem like everything worked. However, when I attempted to launch Sentinel after installing the update, I get a Windows error stating, BCDx36HP_Sentinel has stopped Working. Windows is checking for a solution to this problem. I am running Windows 7. I have tried uninstalling, and reinstalling the program a few times. Running the program as an Administrator and deleting DB files hoping to get Sentinel to launch again with no luck. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

Paul

Auburn36801

Premium Subscriber
I would try to go into windows 7 recovery settings inside the control panel and click on advanced recovery methods and click on return your computer to factory condition. Be advised that this method will erase your hard drive. I recommend that you use this method to reinstall Windows 7. As soon as you install windows 7 you can probably install the latest sentinel update with no problem.

Elpablo

Further on my issue, it indicates the missing file is Setup_BCDx36HP.msi Any idea on how to direct the program to this file?

Auburn36801

Premium Subscriber
The windows 7 software could be corrupted and that is why you could not install the software. I would return the computer to factory settings and after I install windows 7 again, I can install the latest sentinel software without any corrupted files.

kh6sz

Premium Subscriber
Further on my issue, it indicates the missing file is Setup_BCDx36HP.msi Any idea on how to direct the program to this file?

I don't see any MSI file in my sentinal setup, it should be going to a EXE file. MSI files are normally installer programs. Go to your program files and then open the Uniden folder, and see if there is an EXE file there, if so, click on it and see if your program starts.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Are you sure you have un-zipped the Sentinel download before attempting to install it?

The MSI file is definitely in the download, but the EXE file won't find it unless you un-zip the download package.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Where did you download the update from?
Here is the direct link for the "BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_2_00_08.zip" file.
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BCD536HP/BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_2_00_08.zip

Be sure to extract all files and folder in this ZIP file first before trying to install Sentinel. Do not just double-click on the ZIP file. To extract the installation files in Windows, right click on the "BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_2_00_08.zip" file and choose "Extract All...". Then click the Extract button to unzip the files. You should end up with a folder named "BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_2_00_08" which will have two folders and two files in it. Go to this folder and try running the "setup.exe" file.

It goes without saying that you do *NOT* need to restore your computer to its factory condition or reinstall Windows.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Did that to me once. Upon further searching I found the install window open on the taskbar, for some reason (definitely OE) I had two of them open at once because one froze up on me.

PS Edit: I might add that this happened very recently when I updated Sentinel for the SDS100 and it directed me to do a reinstall. Everything came out great, just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited:

stevenp1

Feed Provider
fix

had this trouble myself delete the program and reinstall into a different named directory. add a 1 or something to the end of the directory name option and it will open fine after install.

Elpablo

Thanks to all, especially Steve. After deleting my current directory, extracting out the files again to a new directory and running the setup.exe, I found that I could open it from a file in the new directory. Prior to deleting my directory, I backed up the BuiltIn, Database and Updater files. I am hoping one of these has my Favorite List and Profile data that I can access with the updated program now. Any tips on bringing the FL and Profile data into the updated program directory? Thanks again and this is just another example of how this community is so helpful!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Read from scanner to get your favorite lists and profile from the scanner.

RocketNJ

I had an issue that wound up being Bit Defender blocking file access by Sentinel.

I made an exception and all good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.