Sentinel won't write to Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I just got a slightly used 536HP and am trying to write my Favorites Lists to it. It came programmed with some FLs that the previous owner put into it, but none of that data is helpful to me.

I've tried writing, tried erasing and writing, in short tried everything except reformatting the SD card. I can read the data from the scanner, I just can't write to it.

Before I format the card, I just want to be sure that I'm not missing something simple.

Thanks.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I also tried the "Clear all user data" command. Sentinel tells me it's erasing the scanner, but the data is still there.

SCPD

QRT
reset

Why dont you take the card out the scanner put it in a card reader/writer and see if you can read the card with sentinel.If you can try to write the new favorites list and when you are done put the card back in your scanner.
Then make sure your New favorites list is the only list that is turned ON
if it says nothing to scan you need to format the card and try again
but first I would say reset the scanner from the scanner first then try the above .

DO THIS FIRST!
Note: Pressing and holding 2, 9, and Dept when you power on the scanner will also clear all user data.
http://marksscanners.com/536/436_536.shtml#restore_options

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
The scanner might be haunted. I manually erased every FL in the scanner and then tried to write my FLs to it. The ones I erased came back!

I have a 436, which I bought new, so I know how Sentinel should work. It just won't with this scanner. I'm beginning to think that the SD card is the problem.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I swapped out the OEM card for an 8GB card I bought for use as a back up. Sentinel writes to that one just fine, although I still find Sentinel baffling when it comes to setting up profiles. It took me a while to figure that out too, but now the scanner is working fine.

I'll have to try reformatting the original card and see if that fixes the problem.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Same card in the 436/536. The only time "a card lock switch" is an issue is when an adapter card is used to put the micro SD card in the "regular" card slot on the computer (or card reader).

Using a card reader is a good option as it tends to write faster and eliminates a bad cable potential.

I'd consider getting a new micro SD card. They are inexpensive and easily found. It's possible the existing card has some gremlins preventing a write to it. However you could attempt some recordings which might be informative on whether the card can be written to.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Me too! :lol:

I'm going to get another Micro SD as soon as I can. I'll reformat the one that came with the scanner, but since they are cheap, I'll buy a back up.

glad its working now

SCPD

QRT
old sd card

Me too! :lol:

I'm going to get another Micro SD as soon as I can. I'll reformat the one that came with the scanner, but since they are cheap, I'll buy a back up.

Use the old SD card for something else.LOL!I use mine for pictures.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'm starting to relearn what I had to learn to get the 436 running the way I want. I wasn't hearing about half of what I should have and couldn't figure out why. Apparently, when I set up the profile for the scanner, I forgot to enable the service types I wanted. Got that figured out and now things seem to be running fine.

kc2kth

If you want to keep the original card you could try that sdformatter tool that is mentioned here from time to time, especially as related to dealing with card corruption. Although it seems people have fewer issues with the x36 radios after ditching that stock card. I know that appears to be the case for me with my 436.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I haven't had a problem with my 436 card at all. That's must been used in my house more or less a base station, but I do take it with me on trips. I'll be taking it on a longish trip south later this month and will bring a back up card, just in case.

I ordered 2 8gb cards from Amazon and they will be here on Wednesday. I'm not going to put a lot of effort into recovering the corrupt card, since cards are so cheap.

I'm surprised at the issues with SanDisk that some people are having. I've always had good luck with their products.

If you want to keep the original card you could try that sdformatter tool that is mentioned here from time to time, especially as related to dealing with card corruption. Although it seems people have fewer issues with the x36 radios after ditching that stock card. I know that appears to be the case for me with my 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.