SEPTA Discover Railroad Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerrmn

Being a railroad enthusiasts, I discovered that the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) is using A.A.R channel 15 – 160.335 MHz. – SEPTA Emergency Communications channel. This frequency is used for emergency communications between Suburban Station management coordination and Suburban Station supervisors in Philadelphia, PA.
Communication is used on this frequency is used for assigning trains when emergency needs arise.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Septa Regional Rail has been using the same frequency configuration for over 35 years. I've seen that frequency before but not in all the listings. My guess is it's not used very often and it's not in very many radios. Everything is run directly by the dispatcher now. The positions of Road Foreman are much different than they used to be.

My guess is to avoid confusion they're just going to stay right on the city band. The only one that gives any orders or does any changes is the dispatcher in the rail operations center at Jefferson Station. If the superintendent or assistant superintendent wants something done it goes through the dispatcher.

In the old days you would have Broad Tower in the basement of Suburban Station which controled Schuylkill interlocking and Suburban Station. Just like you would have Mark Tower at Market East that just controlled the crossover in the tunnel. All that stuff for years and years now is just controlled remotely by the dispatcher at the Roc in Jefferson Station.

I remember way back when The Roc was in Suburban Station along with the crew room. Now it's a yogurt store LOL.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes so first of all its Schuylkill as in the Schuylkill River and Schuylkill interlocking is in between Suburban Station which is 15 16th and 17th Street and Market, JFK Boulevard.

30th Street is an Amtrak station that SEPTA passes through and that's the Amtrak station for points South and Points North. It is attached to zoo interlocking which is the largest interlocking in the world or was anyway at one time, who knows now. It goes by the Philadelphia Zoo.

SEPTA is actually an excellent rail system and entails the defunct Reading Railroad and the Penn Central Railroad combined. It was run by Conrail for a brief time in the seventies but was quickly taken over by the bus, trolley, high speed rail company Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority.

As some of you know my background I was always a newspaper guy and I'm also a registered nurse, I grew up in Philly moved to New York for about 17 years and then moved back in 1985, unfortunately the licensing system for RNs was not computerized at that time and I had reciprocity between New York and Pennsylvania but I had an 8-week wait for my nursing license.

I answered an ad in the paper for railroad engineer's with SEPTA and was hired. I had a year of training and qualifying as a railroad engineer on the extra board meaning I was qualified on the entire system because I didn't have the seniority to be assigned my own job. On the extra board you covered people's vacations and did protect Crews.

Because of my bachelor's it wasn't long before I was promoted into rail operations and after doing some Tower work, temporary block stations, order running I was assigned as an assistant to the superintendent of the railroad and owned the delay desk. Investigating all delays of trains by interviewing the crews and questioning them why they were late and assembled a report every day for the superintendent. It was mostly creative writing like slippery rail, pregnant woman crossing the tracks, delay in crew relief Etc. I left the railroad just under five years Service as I did not want to go into railroad retirement and I stayed in Social Security instead.

It was a great experience and I learned everything there was to learn about SEPTA Regional Rail. The trains I ran as an engineer were the old Budd electric silver liners, the GE silverliners, the Bombardier electric engines. SEPTA now uses the new silver liners made by Bombardier and apparently these new electric engines that just tow and push regular cars.

Another reason I left was because of my experience and quick advancement they were beginning to tap my talents to do accident investigation. After a few times of picking up the body parts and putting them in plastic bags and hours and hours of endless paperwork, getting close to my 5 years I had enough LOL.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
MrColad... your very appropriate, on topic and interesting post on Septa Regional rail appears to have been deleted.

My post was responding to that but your post is gone now.

scannerrmn

Thanks for your response. The updated name for the “Roc” is: SEPTA Regional Rail Operations Center R.R.O.C. Now located at SEPTA headquarters 1234 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your response. The updated name for the “Roc” is: SEPTA Regional Rail Operations Center R.R.O.C. Now located at SEPTA headquarters 1234 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA.
Sure it's a pleasure to remember all this stuff that I haven't thought about in a long long time, this was all back in the 80s. Makes sense that they would move over to Market Street as Market East station was bought by Jefferson hospital and is now called Jefferson Station. How do you like that mall that was supposed to open in 2016 hahaha.

Has it opened inside Jefferson Station yet? what a boondoggle. I'm guessing it hasn't, even though I'm 66 now and have a free anytime anywhere pass I rarely go into Philly anymore.

I'm pretty sure the official name was always the regional rail operations center. The term Roc or Rock was just a nickname we all used LOL. The Rock was where the delay desk was and the superintendent's office.

I also worked at Wayne Junction, Wind, Media, Airport, Mark and Broad

I actually did run into people once in awhile when I was in the city more often a few years back and of course many people recognize me. Everybody I met was in their last year or so and going out on Railroad Retirement.

Even though I was only there for a little less than 5 years it certainly does... Get in your blood ;)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I wanted to respond to your post #8 in a separate post.

MrColad's post was indeed deleted, he still has a profile but nobody's heard from him.

I do know that members that he reacted to have had their reaction score reduced by that amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.