SEPTA PD & Philadelphia J-Band PL found

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
I was listening to an active SEPTA PD, relaying Philadelphia PD J-Band, on 502.687500 earlier today. To update the RR db, the PL is definitively 131.8 Hz. HTH.

phillydjdan

Are you sure both were using the PL? I know that the input on that repeater has always been 131.8, and the output for the SEPTA PD portion was always 131.8, but the J Band link was always CSQ. The SEPTA PD units would have to disable PL on their radios to hear the J Band link. You might want to double check before the database gets updated. I will keep an ear on it tonight and see what I come up with.

phillydjdan

Well what do you know! I am also hearing the J Band link with the PL. I'm curious to see if it stays that way. Sometimes people play with settings, and this may only be temporary. I will keep an ear on it and submit the updated info if it stays this way.

w2xq

Mentor
OK Dan. As you saw the PL 131.8 was active. What surprised me was that I was hearing it in Trenton, using an old 800 MHz cell magnet mount antenna atop the car. Had the netbook with me and parked at the Thunder ballpark, trying to decode some channels with Pro96Com and checking out Mercer county stuff. SEPTA/J-Band was quite busy; Do you know where the antenna site is?

phillydjdan

OK Dan. As you saw the PL 131.8 was active. What surprised me was that I was hearing it in Trenton, using an old 800 MHz cell magnet mount antenna atop the car. Had the netbook with me and parked at the Thunder ballpark, trying to decode some channels with Pro96Com and checking out Mercer county stuff. SEPTA/J-Band was quite busy; Do you know where the antenna site is?

It is my understanding that the PD conventional frequency is simulcast on all the same tower sites as their 500MHz trunked system. The site closest to Trenton would be the tower on top of the One Oxford Valley building adjacent to the Oxford Valley Mall in Langhorne. It would easily hit Trenton. SEPTA operates bus routes and trains into Trenton and West Trenton, so it makes sense to have the PD channel able to cover the area.

I've listened to this channel on and off for years, and the addition of a PL is pretty inconsequential, in my opinion. I don't pickup and other users from far away, and no interference that I've noticed. I wonder what made them enable the PL for the J Band side. I also wonder if they are going to (or already did) enable the output PL on the Market-Frankford El frequency as well.

w2xq

Mentor
Hmmm... Oxford Valley Almost line of sight to where I was. Thanks. It is a wonder that the FCC monitoring from their office (if any) doesn't get swamped out. I've gotten used to using/liking PL as especially in Phila the round house used to emit a ton of junk that swept across the r.f. spectrum as one comes off the Ben Franklin Bridge. I listen to the J Band when in/around Center City. Clearly you know the SEPTA radio system better than me; I have no insight to the system. I don't have any reason to monitor SEPTA, as I don't ride their rolling equipment.

phillydjdan

Well, I know a little bit about their system, mostly from forums posts and personal observations. While I do ride the system, I really don't listen in much. I did turn on the MFL channel last night and they have not added the output PL.

Not to hijack,,
But im curious why SEPTA was not just using the PhillyTRS patch they have...
If i understand what your saying..SEPTA PD updating flash to PPD?

phillydjdan

To my understanding, they actually don't have a patch to the Philly TRS. They just have a receiver set to J band that send the audio through the conventional PD repeater. They do not have the ability to talk back. It's just there so the SEPTA PD can keep an ear on flash info, etc. Hope that answers your question.

no,,they indeed have an ID on the PPD TRS,,they key up often,,
SEPTA To J-JOHN....go ahead SEPTA...same like when TEMPLE
or UPENN keys up..
not on NATIONAL/Inter-Op..but on the TRS...probably just an HT...

JBAND is funny,,theres Way more activity on the TRS side vs the
rebroadcast..only citywide(500mhz) flash for priority calls..but not the majority
of the back n forth...

Last edited:

phillydjdan

I don't think I would consider that a patch. It sounds more like the SEPTA PD dispatcher with an HT, and occasionally comes on the Philly TRS when needed. The officers on the street don't have the ability to talk directly with PPD units.

True,,
I was tunnel visioning the console end,,when i was thinking of it,,

I reread the OP first post and im unclear if it was indeed SEPTA PD
units,Or SEPTA Dispatch broadcasting on J...Curious..

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.3; en-us; SPH-M910 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Since the Philadelphia PD trunked system does not use a PL or DPL, nor could be easily received in Trenton on mobile equpiment, I think I can speak for him and say that he was in fact referring to the SEPTA Police conventional frequency, which also broadcasts J Band. I hope that clears things up for you

my Q was more,,,is it the console operator that is Xing over,or are field radios doing it...

my thought would be the console...not sure the city would open up to the entire septa
pd system....maybe the SORT-KATE or VIPER units...that is reasonable...but the entire
force...not very likely,

phillydjdan

No field units have any ability to talk to J Band by any means. The SEPTA dispatcher might have a Philly PD radio on the console, or maybe even just a portable sitting nearby, but the field units cannot talk directly.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.3; en-us; SPH-M910 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Since the Philadelphia PD trunked system does not use a PL or DPL, nor could be easily received in Trenton on mobile equpiment, I think I can speak for him and say that he was in fact referring to the SEPTA Police conventional frequency, which also broadcasts J Band. I hope that clears things up for you

Thanks Dan. Spot on. That was it. I was surprised to hear a SEPTA transmitter signal that strong in Trenton, and you explained that. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, fourthhorseman. HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.