Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
In the last month or so I have been able to listen in to a portion of this Park's back county net from Mammoth. I've had 415.075 programmed in my scanners for years as it is the Silver Peak down link for the BLM system used by the Bishop Field Office. It is still being used to link three repeaters on the BLM system with the Inyo NF inter agency dispatch center in Bishop. About a month ago I began to hear traffic on this link coming from a few of Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park (SEKI). The BLM link is still working and I haven't had the time to see if the BLM traffic utilizes a different tone than that of the Park so it can be distinguished from it.

Two different systems on the same down link? This is a new one for me. Why a down link for the SEKI back country net for Bishop? There used to be a sub-district ranger stationed in Bishop who worked out of an office in the BLM's field office, however, the position was cut over 10 years ago, so why did they add a remote base on Silver Peak for the SEKI system now?

I'm not sure why but it is great being able to hear traffic concerning the back county of SEKI, personnel on fires allowed to burn naturally in the back county, and for things happening at Cedar Grove in the bottom of Kings Canyon. It is better than having an on line scanner picking up SEKI's traffic as the remote base I'm listening to is located at 10,000 feet in the White Mountains east of Bishop. If you are ever in the eastern Sierra, this is a good frequency to program in. It seems to work from about the 395/203 junction to Big Pine.

Sonar

Interesting.

In any case, I'll be up in Sequoia this Labor Day Weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.