serial port comms to 898T

Status
Not open for further replies.

GringoJoe

Well howdy folks,

Please, do not reply with the basics - I've already checked all the comm port settings in the radio, the software and in my computer (both in device manager and in the BIOS). Everything ... appears ... to be properly set.

However, no matter what port speed combination I use (port settings in device manager, radio and software all match), I cannot get the computer to communicate with the scanner. Yep, Remote is ON.

I've tried it on two computers running Windows XP Pro, one with SP2 and the other with SP3. Neither can manage to communicate to the radio, both BC898T SS and ARC's 898T software fail. The auto detect fails after about 10 seconds.

I don't use or have a telephone modem in my computer - I gave up dial-up when I went with broadband, so that's not tying up Com1 (or 2,3,4 - I've tried all the com ports that are supported by the apps without success).

I'd love to use the remote control and programming capability, but dang-it I can't get comms going.

Maybe someone else has had considerable trouble, and can share what they've done to make it work?

I'm looking into some utilities that I can communicate to the radio, such as hyperterminal, but I don't know how to determine HT is actually connecting to the radio, or if it's just opening a com port and going nowhere.

Any commands I can send the radio in DOS to verify that it's at least able to communicate?

Thanks,

GringoJoe

GringoJoe

Ee-gads that was the /one/ thing I overlooked and sure enough, it's a null modem cable. Thanks for pointing that out to me - I dug in too deep and forgot to check one of the last basic items. Off to RadShack I go ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.