Serial to USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algod

396T, ARC 396 Pro, Win 7 64 bit, I've been trying for a few hours to set up a prolfic Serial to USB adapter. I've tried different ports, and baud rates to no avail. The Arc Pro software does not find the scanner. Does anyone have any hints, or success with this Cables to Go adapter, or do I need the Uniden USB-1 cable?
Thanks,
Al

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Are you running the latest drivers (and the right version for Win7)? Did you go to Device Manager and see if a com port the software tried to allocate is really available (the software is kinda stupid - it doesn't check if something like a Bluetooth or a USB driven camera is hogging the port - even if it's not really connected)?

How you get to Device Manager is OS dependent - this wiki article has these details at the bottom...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

73 Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
396T, ARC 396 Pro, Win 7 64 bit, I've been trying for a few hours to set up a prolfic Serial to USB adapter. I've tried different ports, and baud rates to no avail. The Arc Pro software does not find the scanner. Does anyone have any hints, or success with this Cables to Go adapter, or do I need the Uniden USB-1 cable?
Thanks,
Al

You need to download the driver from Prolific's website. Let me see if I can find it....

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

I believe i installed PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1210.zip
- http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files/%5CIO%20Cable%5CPL-2303%5CDrivers%20-%20Generic%5CWindows%5Callinone%5CPL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1210.zip

Then after it was intalled I unplugged and plugged back in the USB-2-Serial adapter and told it to search. It eventually found the driver on my system and installed it.

Mike

Last edited:

Algod

The only port assaignment is for the prolific device. the driver selected is for the device model 26886. I did attempt to update the driver, but was told I had the latest and greatest.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
USB to Serial & Ports

Per prior post and good recommendations, my guess is that the port is not open / reponding perhaps.

Here's what I had to do on a like issue...it may or may-not work for this specific issue for you....

- Go to Device Manager again and 'Disable' the USB port.

- Remove the Cable from USB Port for ~30 seconds to give time for a state-change.

- Re connect to Cable to the USB Port

- Then in the Device Manager have it 'update' and the device should be 'found' and check for any 'conflicts'.

You can also go to Control Panel and (after Port Disabled) and Search For New Hardware as an option. I would also reconsider downloading the Driver from the site and load it if in doubt...

Hope this helps.

Thx

Bill

AB1ND

Premium Subscriber
Did you set up the port in the scanner?

go to Menu > Settings > Set serial port > Set baud rate and set your serial port to match what you set in the software.

Algod

In the scanner under settings, I have PC Control which is where I set the baud rate to match the software. There is no port option under settings. This is a 396t

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It's most likely your port setting in Windows. Remove the cable, check the active ports in the Control Panel\System\Device Manager\Ports (COM & LPT), then plug in your cable. The correct port should display for the Prolific device. If it doesn't, try reinstalling the driver. Once the device is displayed, then try to find the cable/radio with the ARC software.

Status
Not open for further replies.