• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Service mode thing, ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker7

So I have a XTS5000 and am still learning the Motorola system and when I go into service mode I see the following.

SECURE VER
SECURE ADP

I haven't been able to find something about this online, any ideas?

beaker7

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
So after reading this I am still having a little trouble understanding if it needs a key or not, do I need to do anything to make my radio use ADP?

You do need an encryption key which has to match up to other radios you wish to be able to talk to encrypted.

With the XTS 5000 there are 2 main ways of loading ADP encryption keys:
1) Software based. This means you simply set up the ADP Key in CPS (Under Radio Configuration->Secure) and write the encryption Key to the radio.
2) Hardware based. This means you need to have a hardware encryption board (called a UCM or Universal Crypto Module) with ADP activated within it along with a KVL (Key Variable Loader either 3000 or 4000 with appropriate connector). In this scenario you set the encryption key to Hardware in CPS so it looks to the UCM and use the KVL to load the appropriate Key into the UCM and the radio.
Encryption is not for the beginner or the faint of heart as everything has to be configured perfectly for it to work.
Marshall KE4ZNR

beaker7

You do need an encryption key which has to match up to other radios you wish to be able to talk to encrypted.

With the XTS 5000 there are 2 main ways of loading ADP encryption keys:
1) Software based. This means you simply set up the ADP Key in CPS (Under Radio Configuration->Secure) and write the encryption Key to the radio.
2) Hardware based. This means you need to have a hardware encryption board (called a UCM or Universal Crypto Module) with ADP activated within it along with a KVL (Key Variable Loader either 3000 or 4000 with appropriate connector). In this scenario you set the encryption key to Hardware in CPS so it looks to the UCM and use the KVL to load the appropriate Key into the UCM and the radio.
Encryption is not for the beginner or the faint of heart as everything has to be configured perfectly for it to work.
Marshall KE4ZNR

I do have the CPS (vr 20) where do I find encryption keys? Or is it preloaded into CPS?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I do have the CPS (vr 20) where do I find encryption keys? Or is it preloaded into CPS?

You don't "find" encryption keys. Encryption would be kind of useless if you could just open up CPS and see encryption keys. You either know what they are (because you are an authorized user) and load the appropriate key or you are out of luck.
And the most recent (and probably last) version of XTS/XTL CPS is R20.01.00.
Marshall KE4ZNR

beaker7

You don't "find" encryption keys. Encryption would be kind of useless if you could just open up CPS and see encryption keys. You either know what they are (because you are an authorized user) and load the appropriate key or you are out of luck.
And the most recent (and probably last) version of XTS/XTL CPS is R20.01.00.
Marshall KE4ZNR

So if I want to set up 2 XTS5000 radios to communicate using ADP I'd be out of luck because there is no way to copy encryption keys?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I would recommend doing more research on encryption and overall radio programming before heading too much further down this path. Encryption is an advanced programming topic that has to be done 100% correctly or else you could cause inference to others. Search online and read the CPS help menus. A lot of info is out there with a little effort.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

beaker7

I would recommend doing more research on encryption and overall radio programming before heading too much further down this path. Encryption is an advanced programming topic that has to be done 100% correctly or else you could cause inference to others. Search online and read the CPS help menus. A lot of info is out there with a little effort.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I can't seam to find any info on encrypting radios that would be able to tell me these such things. Every time I ask a programming question the answer is figure it out you self. So thanks for the no help.

com501

Many places (including most shops) won't give the unauthorized user that information. Call MOL support and they can help you, assuming you have a LEGAL software license.

Assumption for the use of ADP encryption:

Not in the ham bands.
Not in FRS.
Your FCC license must including P25 emissions, and you must be licensed in a service that allows encryption.

IF you don't have the licensed software and frequencies, put the radios back in the box.

N4KVE

So if I want to set up 2 XTS5000 radios to communicate using ADP I'd be out of luck because there is no way to copy encryption keys?
Since you own both radios, you set both keys the same as each other. You invent the code like any security code you would use to log onto a website. What the other guys were talking about was if you wanted to listen to a system where you did not know what the code was. But since you own both radios, you would think up a code, & program both radios with the same code. The nice thing about ADP, is you don't need a keyloader. You can set it with CPS. While it's not the most secure algo, like AES-256, it works just fine for your personal use. A sample code could be 12345678AB.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You enter the keys under Radio Configuration -> Secure ->Secure Multikey (typically). In that section you need to enter the KeyID (CKR#), a key name (so you know whats what) then the actual key value (under Selectable ADP Key Data).

There are many steps to adding encryption to a channel, as the other guys have mentioned. If you are green at this it can be pretty daunting to sort your way thru it. What is your comfort level with programming the radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.