SDS100/SDS200: Service mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I'm pretty sure the answer will be a big no, but I'll put it out there anyway.
Is there a "service mode" for the sds100 or any other way to tweak the default squelch presets? There are situations for me where preset 2 is a little too tight for my liking, and unlike a radio with a pot for the squelch, this one is software defined. All of my commercial radios have a service mode for calibration.
I always had the same problem with my BCD-396's but just lived with it.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Press the Function button and then press the Volume knob. You can adjust the squelch setting with the Volume knob. You can also preset it under the Miscellaneous tab in your Sentinel profile.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Press the Function button and then press the Volume knob. You can adjust the squelch setting with the Volume knob. You can also preset it under the Miscellaneous tab in your Sentinel profile.
Yes thank you for that, but not exactly where I was going. Preset #2 is too tight and you miss a lot more than you might think. Preset 1 is open squelch. I wish there was a 1.5 lol if you know what I mean now.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Is there a "service mode" for the sds100 or any other way to tweak the default squelch presets? There are situations for me where preset 2 is a little too tight for my liking, and unlike a radio with a pot for the squelch, this one is software defined. All of my commercial radios have a service mode for calibration.
A workaround would be to increase the signal strength of those marginal signals that cause you the issue. Trying an aftermarket antenna that performs better on the band that is of concern could help... or finding that “sweet spot” where you are using the scanner. A little elevation might be all that’s needed, or placing the scanner horizontally instead of vertically sometimes makes a difference. And last but not least is a signal amplifier that attaches to your antenna input. But we can’t forget what you are dealing with is a marginal signal. You are just far enough away from the origin of that signal to give you lousy reception.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
To dazza 0768...
No, I don’t believe so. My post is a reply to the question of not being able to set the squelch beteeen two preset positions... somewhere between an open squelch and the next notch up where no noise floor is heard. Since that isn’t possible I suggested changing the conditions of his delema by increasing signal strength.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
You might also try different filtering...

Ubbe

I had the same problem with my BCD536 scanner that I often needed a 1,5 level for the SQ. But after adding a low noise amplifier I can use SQ 2 for really weak signals barely noticable and normal SQ setting that used to be at a 2 are now at 4. It still opens squelch at setting 1.

/Ubbe

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with my BCD536 scanner that I often needed a 1,5 level for the SQ. But after adding a low noise amplifier I can use SQ 2 for really weak signals barely noticable and normal SQ setting that used to be at a 2 are now at 4. It still opens squelch at setting 1.

/Ubbe
Ah yes this might work. Raising the noise floor so the signal is riding up on the higher squelch setting. I have an amplifier around somewhere. I'll have to find it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ubbe

It doesn't seem to help with a SDS100. That SQ 2 level are too thight and I don't know why Uniden have a setting 15 for the squelch. It would be better if the range 0-7 where spread out to the 16 different positions so that it would become the old 1.0 1.5 2.0 2.5 and so on.

There are many things that still needs fixes with these scanners. Lets hope that somebody at Uniden starts to supports bug fixes and improvements in these expensive scanners.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.