Service Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA3ATV

Feed Provider
Playing with a feature that I've never used before - Service Search on the 996XT. The "Easy to Read Manual" describes how to start a service search. Works fine.

What I can't figure out is how to STOP a service search once it's started.

I DO NOT have the search assigned to any particular key. I started it via the menu.

Any ideas?
Dan

WA3ATV

Feed Provider
The L/O is what I ended up doing, but you'd think there would be a more direct way.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

pyro424

Not sure what you mean by your question. If you just want to stop the service search on a frequency then just push the hold button.

I had a problem where the service search kept coming on every time I turned on the scanner. I found out you have to push L/O twice to stop it from going into service search. Not sure If that helps but I had the problem that I did not know to push L/O twice to turn it off. Pushing it once is only temporary.

WA3ATV

Feed Provider
That's about it. You can start the scan, but you can't stop it. You have to lock it out. One would think that you would use the same procedure to stop it that you use to start it; simply toggle it on and off like a normal scan. But that's apparently not the case. Once you start a service scan, the only way to stop it is to lock it out.

pyro424

Yea WA3ATV. I found the very same problem. To me it no longer matters as I simply do not use service search. I never turn it on anyways. Only time I did was to test it out. I find I just use the custom search feature if anything. I prefer to just set the band limits myself. I find it easier. I really do not do a whole heck of a lot of searching anyways. Normally I just use the radio to monitor some trunked systems which obviously my other radios will not. But yea I agree it is silly the way you have to turn it off.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
On new scanners, service/custom searches are treated just like scanned systems. To enable/disable them, you assign them to a quick key and use the key. To lock them out (if not assigned to a QK), you press F+L/O, L/O while on the search.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Using one of the software programs, you can assign Quick Keys to Service Searches and Custom Searches in the 996XT. There isn't an option in the scanner menu but the software will allow it to be programmed.

chris

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Using one of the software programs, you can assign Quick Keys to Service Searches and Custom Searches in the 996XT. There isn't an option in the scanner menu but the software will allow it to be programmed.

chris

The option in the menu on the scanner is, menu, search for, edit service (or custom), one of the search groups, search with scan, then set a quick key.

Status
Not open for further replies.