Service Type Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2NVY

Premium Subscriber
Looking for a recommendation.
I'm running a 436HP in my vehicle with a GPS. I have it set to get all the Service Types I want while traveling (Fire, EMS, Police, etc...) with a 5-mile range & get great results.

I find I need the "Other" service type enabled because I want to access the CB, HAM, and Weather frequencies "on occasion." It seems those frequencies are landed on a lot in general scanning, so I usually end up avoiding the frequencies or disabling the "Other" service type so I can get across the bands while I'm moving. I want to be able to turn those "Other" bands on and off with a quick key or using a method that is just as simple (as I'm usually driving).

I'm pretty sure I can't disable the entire "Other" service type and simply monitor the CB, HAM, and Weather bands via a "favorites list." I understand disabling that service type would exclude those frequencies (even when turning a favorites list on).

Is their a way to make this happen (turn those "Other" service types on and off basically on-demand), or is this a limitation of the system? TIA!

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
If I understand your question right, in order to turn off/on the various Service TTypes you just need to press the "F" (Function) key on the left upper side of the radio and then press the Zip/Service button which is the bottom row, second from right button as the radio is scanning. It will pull up your different Service Types. I've only done this accidentally a number of times but I also don't turn them off and on too often. I think if you press the button without pressing the Function button first that will just pull up the Zip Code function/feature of the radio menu. So be sure you press the F button on the side of the scanner first.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can do what you want, as I have done something similar for just CB. Once I imported the frequencies, I set the Service Type to Custom 1, which was done with Sentinel. (Just have to be sure the Custom 1 Service Type is selected in the profile.) Any of the Custom 1 to Custom 8 could be used should you have Custom 1 assigned to something else.

They are in their own Favorites List with a separate Favorites List Quick Key. Location Control for this Favorites List is Off because of broad use across the country.

To do this same thing plus adding HAM and Weather is easy enough. Be mindful that most likely everywhere you go, you will find an active weather frequency (or several). Most likely you would want to put these in separate Departments so you don't end up turning everything off by just "hushing up" the weather. Maybe something like:

F55 CB/HAM/Weather (FLQK 55)
__S00 CB/HAM/Weather (SQK 00)
____D01 CB (DQK 1)
____D02 HAM (DQK 2)
____D03 WEATHER (DQK 3)

This way to toggle weather on/off, you would press 55.0.3 eYes to toggle the weather on/off. (Obviously you can use a different FLQK than 55, I used it just as an example). I encourage toggling these things with Quick Keys rather than use of Service Types as it is much simpler.

Probably one of the more simpler things I've done and I'm sure you'll find it to be as well. About the only challenge will be is locating the Ham frequencies.

N2NVY

Premium Subscriber
You can do what you want, as I have done something similar for just CB. Once I imported the frequencies, I set the Service Type to Custom 1, which was done with Sentinel. (Just have to be sure the Custom 1 Service Type is selected in the profile.) Any of the Custom 1 to Custom 8 could be used should you have Custom 1 assigned to something else.

They are in their own Favorites List with a separate Favorites List Quick Key. Location Control for this Favorites List is Off because of broad use across the country.

To do this same thing plus adding HAM and Weather is easy enough. Be mindful that most likely everywhere you go, you will find an active weather frequency (or several). Most likely you would want to put these in separate Departments so you don't end up turning everything off by just "hushing up" the weather. Maybe something like:

F55 CB/HAM/Weather (FLQK 55)
__S00 CB/HAM/Weather (SQK 00)
____D01 CB (DQK 1)
____D02 HAM (DQK 2)
____D03 WEATHER (DQK 3)

This way to toggle weather on/off, you would press 55.0.3 eYes to toggle the weather on/off. (Obviously you can use a different FLQK than 55, I used it just as an example). I encourage toggling these things with Quick Keys rather than use of Service Types as it is much simpler.

Probably one of the more simpler things I've done and I'm sure you'll find it to be as well. About the only challenge will be is locating the Ham frequencies.
Thanks odf8001! I’m having good luck with the recommendations from everyone! I drove 680 miles today and was able to bounce around all the bands leveraging the custom list.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you create your own favorites list without entering a service type for frequencies or talkgroups, the service type defaults to Custom 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.