SDS100/SDS200: Service types and SDS100 using GPS

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I'm no novice to scanning, going from crystal, to early (BC100) programmable, to Uniden's digital models. One thing I had not messed with previously is the GPS feature on some of the newer scanners.
I bought the 4800 baud GPS puck (fewer wires to mess with) for my SDS100 and it works really well, BUT I cannot seem to turn off some 'service types' that I do NOT want to hear while driving.
I have found TWO places where I can set the 'service types' the first for the Favorites Lists being scanned. The second (and only through the scanner menu that I have found) toggles national database 'service types'.
My problem is I am still receiving transmissions that are from 'service types' that I THOUGHT were toggled off. I don't want to hear aviation or amateur (though as a new 'ham' I may change my mind so I can find repeaters along the way) and a couple of others. Aviation and amateur are the two I really notice the most.
Is there a third 'service type' toggle that I am missing or am I stuck pressing 'avoid' when an unwanted service pops up?
Thanks for any help.
Lynn

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Press FUNC key (side of scanner) and Zip/Services key. Set each service type you don't want to hear to "Off". Shouldn't matter if you're scanning full database or your favorites lists, scanner should only scan service types pertaining to what's turned on as long as they're set properly in your FLs & you've uploaded the latest RR database version via Sentinel

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Or..... in Sentinel, select/de-select service types via edit/edit profile.
Suggest this method - you can see all of them and see what excactly you have going on.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yeah doing it in Sentinel may be the better way, if you have access to a computer. If you do it on the scanner itself, be sure to modify your Sentinel Profile when you can. Otherwise, Sentinel might overwrite what you have done the next time you change FLs, etc.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Are these FLs you created? If so did you set the Service Types on them? Or did you import them from the main DB?

Ensnared

On rare occasions, I will disable a service type for various reasons. I never ever use the full DB unless I haven't programmed an area.

However, I will occasionally use the zip code and full DB. This also applies to GPS.

In order to re-activate a service type, I was told that it was necessary to turn these on/off when the DB was on. It has worked for me.

ih784

Premium Subscriber
I’m unable to enable certain services on my sds100. For example I can’t toggle aircraft, corrections or EMS talk in the scanner itself. I turned them all on in sentinel. I only have about 75 channels in a FL to scan. Any idea how to enable all services?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
If you cannot enable them then you do not have any of that type selected to scan.

You should be able to enable them in Sentinel then write to the scanner.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I’m unable to enable certain services on my sds100. For example I can’t toggle aircraft, corrections or EMS talk in the scanner itself. I turned them all on in sentinel. I only have about 75 channels in a FL to scan. Any idea how to enable all services?
If, instead of "On" or "Off" you see three dots, as Joe suggested, service types that you cannot enable are not in any of your Favorites list. If they were not enabled, when you downloaded your list(s) to the scanner, then Sentinel would not include them in the downloads.

1697767709987.png
Enable the ones you want then download to the scanner again & you should be able to access them in the scanner's menu. Be sure

ih784

Premium Subscriber
I’m going to modify and reload sentinel. Thank you guys! I thought I’d be picking up more chatter. I’ve only heard the sheriff’s department and ems. Both are on viper. I’ve not heard any ncshp (high or low band) or NCWRC talk at all.