SDS100/SDS200: Set charge while on

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

I’ve noticed that the setting on my SDS100 for charging while listening keeps going to “disable” occasionally. I have set this feature to enable and it usually stays enabled but then I’ll go plug it it’s and notice that the light doesn’t turn on indicating charging. I have to go into settings again and enable. Any ideas why this setting changes by itself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gootch

Same hear. Happened to me just yesterday. This is just a guess but when it has happened to me it is after discharging the battery to the point when the battery warning message shows on the screen. Just a guess.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure the radio is getting enough amperage to both run the radio and charge the battery? And, just because the power supply says 3 amps or 4 amps or whatever, doesn't mean that's what's really being delivered.

WeBeCinYa

Interesting on this being designed in software to do this. Thanks for helping me keep my sanity as I was going nuts knowing I set it to enable.

And for reference I am using the stock power adapter and wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Interesting on this being designed in software to do this. Thanks for helping me keep my sanity as I was going nuts knowing I set it to enable.
It is possible that your factory cable had a poor connection a few times or it may be wearing out. Over time the strands that make up the wires in the cable can start to break, one by one. This increases the resistance of the cable which drops more voltage under load and delivers less voltage to the SDS100.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

Yeah, well, that's what I also use if I don't just switch batteries but according to my Keweisi meter, it's putting out 1.8 amps.

WeBeCinYa

I usually listen until it’s low battery so that likely explains it. I just picked up a new 6ft usb cable from amazon (someone here recommended) and it’s great not being stranded to that short factory one.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Something else, WeBeCinYa, you might consider a second battery and a separate charger. It's one of the smartest things I did for the SDS100.

caldwest

I’ve noticed that the setting on my SDS100 for charging while listening keeps going to “disable” occasionally. I have set this feature to enable and it usually stays enabled but then I’ll go plug it it’s and notice that the light doesn’t turn on indicating charging. I have to go into settings again and enable. Any ideas why this setting changes by itself?

My SDS100 has also had this same issue . . . maybe every 20 charges or so. Not a problem to reset, just an annoyance.

WeBeCinYa

Something else, WeBeCinYa, you might consider a second battery and a separate charger. It's one of the smartest things I did for the SDS100.

I use the small battery pack, never swap it out. The P2 system I listen to does well for 6-8 hrs on one charge. Can’t stand look of the larger battery.
Plus if I’m home the 536 is on, in the car I have a 110 outlet for usb charger.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

Not to get real complicated here and introduce new issues or problems but... I have the large battery,
I don't use the SDS 100 in a portable application that much but I still do it on and off a couple times a week. My mot gives me the volume punch I need in a portable situation.

When I do discharge the battery all the way to the 3.5 which is the default I shut the radio off right away and hook it up to the wall wart that came with the radio that should be supplying 2.1. I also have other sources of 2.1 but don't use them for the SDS 100. I have OCD hahaha.

I usually run the radio while it's charging but sometimes let it charge for 2 or 3 hours with the radio off then turn it on. It makes no difference in my case, the end result is it records 4.21 with a green light and when I unplug it I always gets a value of 4.12 and that's where I begin my trip down to 3.5... however most of the time I go down to about 3.8. Then I turn off the charge while on option and when I turn the radio off, I unplug the wort from the wall.

I mainly use the 100 as a base application and it usually has a battery reading of 3.5 to 3.8 and it may stay there for several weeks before I do a mobile application with a full charge.

Just sharing my experience. If I had my druthers I would just slap in some double A's but the radio is too sophisticated and requires too much power to make that possible..

WeBeCinYa

I think I have mine set at 3.2 for low battery alert, is that too low?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Who knows? It's probably no different than repeatedly pressing enter when you get a low battery warning at 3.5. At some point I guess you might do damage to the SD card? I just go with the default on this one.

You know that low battery warning always goes off at the exact time you need the radio the most. Hahaha.

Last edited:

racing1

I usually listen until it’s low battery so that likely explains it. I just picked up a new 6ft usb cable from amazon (someone here recommended) and it’s great not being stranded to that short factory one.

Link for the cable?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I had trouble with mine disabling simultaneous charging in the car, but when I switched from an aftermarket USB cable to the OEM (original equipt mfr) cable, that solved the problem. Apparently some lighter gauge cables have too much voltage drop to deliver the full charging current.

racing1

I had trouble with mine disabling simultaneous charging in the car, but when I switched from an aftermarket USB cable to the OEM (original equipt mfr) cable, that solved the problem. Apparently some lighter gauge cables have too much voltage drop to deliver the full charging current.
Where did you get a new OEM cable?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.