• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Set up a XTS5000 for weather alerting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker7

Hey guys, i have an XTS 5000 as an every day carry radio on VHF and was wondering is it possible to set it up to alert when there is a weather warning? I've heard it sounds like quick call or something similar when there's an alert. So is there a way to decode that and alert? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hey guys, i have an XTS 5000 as an every day carry radio on VHF and was wondering is it possible to set it up to alert when there is a weather warning? I've heard it sounds like quick call or something similar when there's an alert. So is there a way to decode that and alert? Thanks!

It's a 1050hz long tone. But yes you can.

mm

In your conventional personality for the personality that you desire to have as WX alert, under the SIGNALLING pull down, set SIGNALLING TYPE for QUIK-CALL II.

In your conventional personality, SYSTEM NUMBER, Pick a number, mine is set to system 1 as an example.

In your conventional personality QUIK-CALL II, check the 'selective call decode' box and set the UNMUTE Type to AND

In conventional personality, QUIK-CALL II tab the CALL ID LIST should be set to 1 for example.

Now go to the QUIC-CALL II SYSTEM 1 and under the GENERAL tab set CALL FORMAT to A-B,

For tone A set to 1050 hz , code can be left at none

For tone B set this also to 1050 hz, code can be left at none

I left the ADVANCED pull down at their defaults of 500ms pretime, auto w/carr, auto reset time at 5 sec and limited patience at 60.

Now go up to the QUIK-CALL LIST, select list number 1 for example list 1 of 1

Under the QUIK-CALL II CALL LIST-1 of 1 selection under the GENERAL tab for LIST ALIAS I left mine at default LIST 1

Under the QUIK-CALL II CALL LIST-1 of 1 selection under the LIST tab, for CALL TEXT (alias) I named mine WX TONE,

UNDER CALL FORMAT set the format to LONG TONE

Set the TONE A FREQUENCY (hz) to 1050.0 hz.

TONE A code can be left at NONE

the TONE B columns should be grayed out.

That's it

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
In your conventional personality for the personality that you desire to have as WX alert, under the SIGNALLING pull down, set SIGNALLING TYPE for QUIK-CALL II.

In your conventional personality, SYSTEM NUMBER, Pick a number, mine is set to system 1 as an example.

In your conventional personality QUIK-CALL II, check the 'selective call decode' box and set the UNMUTE Type to AND

In conventional personality, QUIK-CALL II tab the CALL ID LIST should be set to 1 for example.

Now go to the QUIC-CALL II SYSTEM 1 and under the GENERAL tab set CALL FORMAT to A-B,

I left the ADVANCED pull down at their defaults of 500ms pretime, auto w/carr, auto reset time at 5 sec and limited patience at 60.

Under the QUIK-CALL II CALL LIST-1 of 1 selection under the GENERAL tab for LIST ALIAS I left mine at default LIST 1

Under the QUIK-CALL II CALL LIST-1 of 1 selection under the LIST tab, for CALL TEXT (alias) I named mine WX TONE,

That's it

Yeah, what he said... :)

beaker7

That's it
So regarding that i got it all setup is there a way to have it alert me without constantly being stuck on that channel?

-thanks!

K4RMN

So regarding that i got it all setup is there a way to have it alert me without constantly being stuck on that channel?

-thanks!

You could add that paging personality with the WX frequency as a scan list channel in addition to whatever other channels you want to scan.

Example:

Channel A on Zone 1 is the local fire department dispatch channel, 15x.xxx MHz, with or without paging, running personality 1

Channel B on Zone 2 is the local WX radio channel, 16x.xxx MHz, configured for paging as described, running personality 2 which is set up to only unsquelch for alerts.

Set up your scan list to scan both Channel A and Channel B - remember scan lists can be across multiple zones - and while you're monitoring Channel A and even have it turned to Channel A as your operating channel, your radio will still monitor Channel B for WX alerts as long as you're running with scan on.

beaker7

You could add that paging personality with the WX frequency as a scan list channel in addition to whatever other channels you want to scan.

Example:

Channel A on Zone 1 is the local fire department dispatch channel, 15x.xxx MHz, with or without paging, running personality 1

Channel B on Zone 2 is the local WX radio channel, 16x.xxx MHz, configured for paging as described, running personality 2 which is set up to only unsquelch for alerts.

Set up your scan list to scan both Channel A and Channel B - remember scan lists can be across multiple zones - and while you're monitoring Channel A and even have it turned to Channel A as your operating channel, your radio will still monitor Channel B for WX alerts as long as you're running with scan on.
So i tried to do that but it just keeps bouncing back to the wx channel because its receiving a signal. Is there a setting that says rx for paging or something im missing?

K4RMN

So i tried to do that but it just keeps bouncing back to the wx channel because its receiving a signal. Is there a setting that says rx for paging or something im missing?

As mentioned in the steps, when you're configuring the paging alert make sure you have the main unmute rule set to Standard, and the unmute rule in the signaling tab set to AND as opposed to OR, otherwise it will unsquelch when it hears a normal signal OR a paging signal.

beaker7

As mentioned in the steps, when you're configuring the paging alert make sure you have the main unmute rule set to Standard, and the unmute rule in the signaling tab set to AND as opposed to OR, otherwise it will unsquelch when it hears a normal signal OR a paging signal.

Ok so I've looked over my settings 3 times now and everything is the same but yet it still unmutes with the standard WX channel signal. Is there something in the scan config or scan list config that needs to be changed?

K4RMN

Found out the hang-up: the AND QCII unmute rule only activates if the Standard unmute rule is in place. The Standard unmute rule can only be read if the station transmits a PL tone, as opposed to just carrier squelch, which I don't think NWS Radio does, just CSQ. I have emailed a contact with NWS to confirm.

K4RMN

Follow-up thought: put a PL tone of any value on the WX channels, and then in the personality, in the QCII tab set the Selective Call Decode unmute rule to OR instead of AND. Since there is never a PL tone transmitted with NWS weather radio, the first part of the OR check will fail, but since it is still an OR, when the 1050 Hz tone drops it will unsquelch then. Tada! Instant weather radio monitor.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Just a quick question why use an xts for weather alert?Not busting n×+×.Just trying to figure out the logic.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

ME801

Just a quick question why use an xts for weather alert?Not busting n×+×.Just trying to figure out the logic.

Only having to carry one radio on his (I'm assuming a guy) belt, Boston radio strap, turnout pocket, etc.

My boss is always asking "why didn't you have your cell phone with you", my answer "I had my radio, just give me a call".

K4RMN

Only having to carry one radio on his (I'm assuming a guy) belt, Boston radio strap, turnout pocket, etc.

My boss is always asking "why didn't you have your cell phone with you", my answer "I had my radio, just give me a call".

Yep. Lets me know if the weather is going to turn bad if I'm on a call. Also lets me save money on buying a weather radio for the house, can just use my fire radio.

beaker7

Radio geek/ham i prefer to carry 1 radio and I use an xts for an every day carry radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.