setting type and tone on bct8

Status
Not open for further replies.

fshndean38

My location is Tillamook oregon,( analog conventional )
for some reason when I program my bct8 conventional it doesn't pick up the frequencies . when I program the frequencies in Motorola trunking using vhf high it picks up all the frequencies good , does anyone no the proper way to program the bct8 ? there is no analog conventional setting in the bct8 that i know of . there is E2-800,E2-high,E2uhf,E1 Motorola type 1 and hybrid, Ed edacs,Ed sct scats,lt ltr,
Do i need to put the tone numbers in along with the frequencies?
what does the type RM mean under type?
Do i need to use E2-uhf high for coast guard and Vhf-high for public safety?

I have read the manual buy I am still a little lost,
I am running the scanner off an st2 antenna,

thanks

fshndean38

Anyone?

My location is Tillamook oregon,( analog conventional )
for some reason when I program my bct8 conventional it doesn't pick up the frequencies . when I program the frequencies in Motorola trunking using vhf high it picks up all the frequencies good , does anyone no the proper way to program the bct8 ? there is no analog conventional setting in the bct8 that i know of . there is E2-800,E2-high,E2uhf,E1 Motorola type 1 and hybrid, Ed edacs,Ed sct scats,lt ltr,
Do i need to put the tone numbers in along with the frequencies?
what does the type RM mean under type?
Do i need to use E2-uhf high for coast guard and Vhf-high for public safety?

I have read the manual buy I am still a little lost,
I am running the scanner off an st2 antenna,

thanks

There must be someone out there that can help input Tillamook frequencies on the bct8, Please help the new beginner, I tried to get help from the Radio shack owner here in Tillammok and all he wants to do is sell me a tram 1400 antenna. I just need to know what band I should run frequencies on and do I need to input system type # in along with frequencies, if so how ,were and what are proper settings????

fshndean38

New scanner??

Should I just break down and buy a new scanner? if so any suggestions for Oregon coast Tillamook,
from what have been reading they run on analog conventional only here but I pick up more frequencies when Program frequencies into trunking and use the vhf-high.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you look here, you will see a cross ref chart which translates the old Uniden trunk types with their English counterparts..

Programming the BCT-8 - The RadioReference Wiki

Our database is a bit old from that area...

Tillamook County, Oregon (OR) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

but it appears that there is no trunking in that area - it's all conventional stuff. Whether that's true now or not, I don't know - I haven't been in that area in a very long time. To find out what the various abbreviations mean, simply float your mouse over the column header - you should get a bubble with definitions.

I have asked this to be moved to the Oregon forum, where it's much more likely you'll get some better answers. There is also the NWScan Yahoo group where more information can likely be found

nwscan : NorthWest SCANner enthusiasts

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

fshndean38

The tone for tillamook is pl= ctcss , do I have to program the tone along with the frequencies ? if so how? lol

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, no PL/DPL capability on the BCT-8. But being over on the coast (versus an urban area) you aren't likely to need it. It looks like it is a good scanner, but lacking the PL/DPL as well as alphanumeric tags.

No need to program in anything as "trunked". Just plug them in as conventional frequencies. It won't matter if they are VHF, UHF, etc. for that purpose, since they are not trunked.

You might want to consider springing for some programming software (Butel, etc.) to make the job easier on the BCT-8. But before doing that I would consider what you are looking to get out of your scanner. If you want a few more features you might consider the Uniden BCT15X (base/mobile) or BC346XT (handheld). They run about $200 at places like Amazon. There also happens to be free software out there for programming them. Another choice is something like the GRE PSR-310 (handheld) or PSR-410 (base/mobile). They can be found for about $150-160 new, but you will have to buy a separate programming cable (whereas the Uniden 346XT and 15X both come with a cable), and there is no free software.

As far as the "RM" code you see in the database: "B"ase, "M"obile, "R"epeater, "F"ixed. If you hover your mouse cursor over the top of the column it should bring up that small guide.

fshndean38

Thanks for all the help, I am ordering the bct15x even no I don't need trunking in tillamook. the bct8 is a good scanner but for some reason if the frequencies aren't programed in trunking vhf-high there is very little talk.
plugin frequencies in conventional is just a joke. even search mode picks up more then conventional .

stumped

DickH

Should I just break down and buy a new scanner? if so any suggestions for Oregon coast Tillamook,
from what have been reading they run on analog conventional only here but I pick up more frequencies when Program frequencies into trunking and use the vhf-high.

E2-800 etc. are the system types you must enter for TRUNKING systems. For conventional freqs. you don't use them. Read your manual about how to enter freqs.

fshndean38

I understand how to program trunk systems along with talk group ids, I lived in Portland and had no problem with trunking,

The problem is this bct8 scanner picks up the local conventional frequencies very poorly when programed into the banks conventional way, I have to hold trunk down until banks flash, then I pick bank 1, set the bank for E2 - high and then install frequencies. then when I back out of programing and hit pvt search I can here all of the frequencies that were installed ,local fire,police,ems,coast guard and so on, when I press hold on a frequency its showing M for Motorola. I was told not to run the scanner this way because the trunking would not receive properly. I could be the scanner,

DickH

I understand how to program trunk systems along with talk group ids, I lived in Portland and had no problem with trunking,

The problem is this bct8 scanner picks up the local conventional frequencies very poorly when programed into the banks conventional way, I have to hold trunk down until banks flash, then I pick bank 1, set the bank for E2 - high and then install frequencies. then when I back out of programing and hit pvt search I can here all of the frequencies that were installed ,local fire,police,ems,coast guard and so on, when I press hold on a frequency its showing M for Motorola. I was told not to run the scanner this way because the trunking would not receive properly. I could be the scanner,

A freq. has the same signal strength regardless of whether the scanner is set for conventional or trunking. That has nothing to do with reception.
If you are not receiving well, it is your location, your antenna, etc.
Try it on a weather (WX) channel.

fshndean38

I do receive well in trunking mode including weather band so I will leave it at that until my new scanner arrives. Then after a month of reading,searching internet ,watching videos, and pulling hair and teeth out I will give an update on how my new radio is working.lol
also I am doing a little tweaking to my st2 .. new transformer, raising it higher off the roof,ext,

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.