Setting up BCD436HP for East Toronto/Scarborough - Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hera

Hi there, I recently purchased a BCD436HP. I live around west Scarborough. I'm quite enjoying it - I've got some basic programming done and primarily listen to Toronto Emergency Services 'system' and then let it scan Dept and Channel. I also have the range set to 5 miles. I have tried to experiment with the Close Call setting and then widening the range...but I feel that I hear less - is that possible?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The wider the range the more its going to scan through. I keep mine really low for example 0-1.
Close call will normally only alert on really strong signals that are close by or over and above other frequencies.

You can make favorites lists to really narrow down only things you want to hear. The Uniden Sentinel software is good for that.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
The wider the range, the more it scans. The more you scan, the “less” you may hear by missing things.

Also highly recommend building a few favourites lists of what you like to listen to. I tend to separate fire and EMS, OPP, etc, then pick specifically what I want that day. (Almost always fire, lol).

Hera

Thank you, that's what I'm finding as well. Any other systems you find interesting? I was able to pick up some CB.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much all Fire for me, almost always while mobile. However I've taken my laptop out with a few SDR dongles to listen to the TTC a couple times recently. You can't with a Uniden scanner, but might be a fun side project for you, if it interests you. Very cheap to do.

Hera

Local malls are often quite entertaining as well.
If I live say, 7km away from a large mall that has its own system, but have my service radius set for 5km...would I still pick that up?

Also, thank you all for your responses. I am really enjoying this so far.

gary123

Yes you will provided you have the system entered. Also that is assuming the signal is radiated outside the mall. Many malls have internal antennas and lower power transmitters. This is to prevent the signal from blasting all over the city. Also many malls are owned by the same holding company and in the past it was not uncommon for each facility to use the same frequency set. This is also true for apartment complexes and other smaller operations with multiple sites.

5 Km is a very short distance you can walk it in 20min. I would be using 10km and then lockout anything your not interested in.

Hera

Pretty much all Fire for me, almost always while mobile. However I've taken my laptop out with a few SDR dongles to listen to the TTC a couple times recently. You can't with a Uniden scanner, but might be a fun side project for you, if it interests you. Very cheap to do.
I notice when I am listening (I'm right at the western edge of Scarborough if that helps), the transmission is somewhat cut off. If it's a longer transmission then its fine...but the shorter ones are clipped. Does this have something to do with Tone Out?

gary123

It depends on what you mean by clipped. If you're having the first part of the first message getting chopped off then yes, it's almost certainly a Tone Out setting.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I notice when I am listening (I'm right at the western edge of Scarborough if that helps), the transmission is somewhat cut off. If it's a longer transmission then its fine...but the shorter ones are clipped. Does this have something to do with Tone Out?

Which site are you finding this happens on? South or East?

If it's on the Toronto trunked system, shouldn't be a Tone Out issue.

You may also be scanning between the four sites and it's midway into a transmission just as you lock on to that site.

But Gary is correct - a little more detail or a video of it may help us really nail down your question.

Hera

Which site are you finding this happens on? South or East?

If it's on the Toronto trunked system, shouldn't be a Tone Out issue.

You may also be scanning between the four sites and it's midway into a transmission just as you lock on to that site.

But Gary is correct - a little more detail or a video of it may help us really nail down your question.

I have set up favorites list and made one for Toronto Fire. Here's what it looks like, - too much?

And are there any other settings you tweak? range? ID Search/Scan? Tone?
1626150689021.png

gary123

Set up for one site only. Generally, the way a scanner works is it looks for the CC for the first site in it's list. When it finds it, it searches the TG list. If nothing is heard it then looks for the next CC and then checks it for the TGs etc etc etc.

On a system the size of Toronto, all you need to do is scan the local site. TFD should be on all 4 sites. It is possible that a Etobicoke call may not be on the Scarborough site BUT If I remember correctly, the FD Tgs are always on all 4 sites to provide redundancy should there be a site or apparatus location issue.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Here's what I've found... just from my own experience of almost exclusively listening to TFS most of my days..

If you were setting up for only one site at a time in Toronto, the South is the one to try and get. The automated Dispatch I've only found is consistently on South. Sometimes it is on West.

Generally trucks stick to their respective "home" site, I've found. If it's East Command being dispatched to an East Tac channel, you'll find it on the East site. If it's north command, it's on North. You generally get tac channels on other sites only when a truck goes over to help and affiliates to that talkgroup - such as a South Command truck going to East tac 3 to a call, then you'll get it on the South site.

I've found the "Ops" channels seem to be on most sites though.

Most major calls end up being heard on the South site though once they get big. I mostly monitor the south on my G4 and hear most significant calls coming through there if it turns into anything. Otherwise each knob position is setup for tac channels on their respective site.

For the OP as well: The first system you created there called "Toronto" with the backup frequencies / fireground you could leave out - you'll hear everything on the trunked system. Do you pickup the South Site well from where you are? Try using a site hold on the South one.

How to do it; just in case you aren't familiar with how, since you are new to the scanner:

1626222653412.png

Hera

Saint

Premium Subscriber
currently i can pick up lots from my car as i have a wide band 33" antenna on top...but at home im still getting it sorted out...

i was thinking of this one to start...and then maybe add in a discone at some point.
Check this out at Amazon
Wilson Electronics Pole Mount Panel Antenna 700-2700 MHz, 50 Ohm (314453)" Wilson Electronics Pole Mount Panel Antenna 700-2700 MHz, 50 Ohm (314453)" : WILSON ELECTRONICS: Amazon.ca: Electronics
Get your self a discone antenna for the scanner at home, Wilson Electronics Pole Mount Panel Antenna is for tv reception

gary123

I use the Diamond D130 antennas both at work and home. They are bulletproof and work on everything.

Hera

I picked up a Diamond 130J today and hopefully I'll be putting it up within the next two days or so. After that I should be able to get the South Fire Operations no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.