setting up first base station

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmac0923

Hey all,

my name is danny, KD2KNQ from westchester NY.

I recently sold my townhouse where there was obviously strict regulations about antennas so I would use a slim jim roll up and an HT.

Im buying a house and would like to set up an actual base station. Ive done some research and so far I think im going to go with a

Yaesu dual band mobile transceiver,
Powerwerx 30amp switching power supply.
Comet GP-9 antenna.

Now the two main questions I have for you guys. Im having a hard time deciphering the diff types of coax for my antenna feed line.... any suggestions?

Secondly, of course the darling wife does not want the antenna on the roof. I dont necessarily disagree with her since the GP-9 is rather tall..... I considered going to the GP-6 for its smaller height but all the reviews I have red say the GP-9 really out performs the GP-6.

So that leaves me with looking at putting the antenna in a near by tree. Are certain types of trees better than others to mount them in? Also how do you mount them to the tree? Im sure you need to maintain some sort of air gap between the antenna and the tree?

Thanks in advance
Danny

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Tree mount is a no go. The tree will interfere with your signal, and over time, the tree growth will damage your mounting hardware and antenna. In addition, you can't properly ground an antenna mounted to a tree, which means you're more likely to be injured or killed in the event of a lightning strike, plus a lightning strike is more likely.

Best practice is a mounting to a metal mast next to the house, such that the antenna base (ground plane, if it has one) is above the roof line.

LMR400 is a good option. You can get better cable, but it's a lot more expensive.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
+1 with jonwienke. Trees can be a real hassle later down the road. As he posted, you can use a stand-off mounting bracket, then place a rod down in the ground a few feet so that the mast can slide over it. Thus that will keep the mast from moving at the ground level. Remember to follow your local electrical code for grounding your system. Wouldn't hurt none to read the NEC chapter on grounding; ARTICLE(250).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Now the two main questions I have for you guys. Im having a hard time deciphering the diff types of coax for my antenna feed line.... any suggestions?

There is no one answer to this question. The type of coaxial cable you need depends on the following:
1. Budget
2. length
3. Budget
4. performance expectations
5. Budget

Make sure you consider your budget, too! The coax that can be recommended won't do you any good if you can't afford it.

Since all transmission line has some amount of loss, and that amount of loss increases with cable length AND frequency, you need to look at these two factors in making your decision. And saying "I want the best" isn't a good answer, because I can likely spec feedline for you that will cost more than your house.

Secondly, of course the darling wife does not want the antenna on the roof. I dont necessarily disagree with her since the GP-9 is rather tall..... I considered going to the GP-6 for its smaller height but all the reviews I have red say the GP-9 really out performs the GP-6.

I agree, don't mount in a tree.
I'd say go with the smaller antenna if it keeps the wife happy. Even better if you can keep it closer to your radios. As I mentioned above, all transmission lines have some amount of loss, and that increases with length and frequency. Getting your antenna up high in a tree would have some benefits, like increasing the "radio horizon", but that can be offset by the increased cable length/cable losses.

dmac0923

thanks for all the input guys, I think im going to go with a smaller antenna like the GP-6 or similar on one of those eve style mounts on the side of the house.

I plan on running the coax down the side of the house in a straight line into my basement where the station will be set up.

TheSpaceMann

If your wife gives you trouble, you can get a small ELK 2m/440 portable beam! It looks just like a TV antenna, and performs amazingly well even when set up indoors!!! :)

W2PDX

Danny, I sent you a Private Message with more info specific to our area.

Craig

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
The only option I see here is to get rid of the wife :)

prcguy

I've got 2 GP9s up now, they are painted a flat light grey that blends in with the sky and are much harder to see than the stock white color. One is on a new 40ft tower in the front yard, the tower looks hideous to the neighbors but the antenna on top seems to go unnoticed.

Just get one, paint it and stick it up.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.