• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Setting Up First CB - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpaceMann

Well the top of the roll bar could work, but that's pretty high for a 102 inch whip! How about mounting it to the bed or side of the bed?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Mounting the whip to the bed will still work, but not as well as the cab. If you mount to the front of the bed, the cab will reflect signal back into the antenna, and you'll have high SWR and subpar performance. If you mount to the side of the bed away from the cab, you'll get better performance, but still have higher-than-necessary SWR because of the less-than-ideal ground plane.

TXWELD92

PROGRESS!!

Okay, so today I bought a cb-cigerette lighter power cord and got this radio setup in my truck, desperate for seeing any kind of functionality out of this thing. I got it setup sitting in the passenger seat, with my 36" magnet antenna, and went for a spin. I heard almost nothing on channel 19, just the super occasional staticky transmission off in the distance, then I switched it to 17 near a truck stop on the highway and we were in business!

I heard a bunch of traffic, although it took the RF gain being maxed out and didnt sound very good, but it still got me pretty excited!

Now, I'm gonna go take the 102 off the top of my house, weld up some temporary brackets and see if that helps. I'm thinking it will? If I can get it working good on my truck, I'll leave it there, hide the wiring and clean up the install, maybe even wire directly to the battery if you guys think that'll cut down on the interference when I accelerate the engine.

I hope this works!

If it does, I'll just buy a second radio and one of the base antennas for my house. If it doesn't, I'll use this radio and one of the recommended antennas.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!

TXWELD92

Side note, if you if you guys were gonna buy a CB for a base station, which radio would you get? I have the 29LTD cobra. I'd kinda like something with a scan function if possible. Money's not really that big of a concern for this, within reason... Thanks again!

KC5AKB

Sounds like the radio bug might have got you! Welcome to the fun.!
Look around a little . I sent you a pm .

prerunner1982

Perhaps something like this using an additional 102" whip for the counter poise/ground plane would work for your base station.

Attachments

• 102 dipole.jpg
    102 dipole.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 324

prerunner1982

, maybe even wire directly to the battery if you guys think that'll cut down on the interference when I accelerate the engine.

It may. Just depends on how the noise is getting into the radio, power wires or coax. I have had vehicles that don't have any issues with the CB powered via a cig lighter adapter and I have had others that cause RFI. It's best to go to the battery.

Also, running a couple ground straps from the hood to the body of the vehicle can help reduce some of the noise and provide more "ground plane" for the antenna. If you really want to get crazy, run ground straps from the body of the truck to the frame and from the exhaust to the frame, it makes all the various parts of isolated metal into one medal mass. You can get tinned braided ground strap from amazon for reasonable.

TheSpaceMann

Side note, if you if you guys were gonna buy a CB for a base station, which radio would you get? I have the 29LTD cobra. I'd kinda like something with a scan function if possible. Money's not really that big of a concern for this, within reason... Thanks again!
Definitely one with side band (SSB)! There are a lot of good operators who work LSB, most;ly on channels 33 to 40, and sidband increases your usable range! The Unidan 980 is very popular at around $100. You can check out the reviews on many radios at: CBRadioMagazine.com - The only online CB Magazine in the world :)

Status
Not open for further replies.