Setting up for Nascar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianGP

How do you Nsacar fans set up your scanner before a race? Do you always buy the freq. charts at the track and then enter them every race or can I use the ones posted on Jayski?

I was thinking of using the car number for the channel number, channel 1 would be setup with Martin Truex's freq. and so on, good idea?

Any help would be great appreciated.

n2mdk

Alpha Tags are the ability to input text, like driver names, in place of things like frequencies. The BC95XLT doesn't have the ability so it's a moot point.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
In a nut shell:

Alpha Tagging: The ability to have your display show ALPHA/NUMERICAL display. i.e. instead of it showing "ch 8 460.3750" it can be set to display "Police Ch 1".

The BC95 is computer programmable, but does not do the alpha tagging. Depending on what race (NASCAR, Indy, etc) you are going to, I would program up the radio with the primary driver frequency on the corresponding car number channel. For example if you are going to NASCAR and want to monitor Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the #88 car, on channel 88 you would program in 462.0625.

Again, instead of doing it all manually, get the computer program to do it with. Will make your life easier!

CanadianGP

b7spectra said:
Again, instead of doing it all manually, get the computer program to do it with. Will make your life easier!

I did D/L the free version from the Uniden site and all it shows is a chart to enter all of the 200 channels. I have to pay $14.95 to get the key for the full version. Do I need the full version or is the chart all I need to enter the freq.

Also on the USB-1 cable it has a sticker that says I have to install the driver software before plugging in the data cable. Is this the free D/L from Uniden?

TIA

Viper43

Ummm, if you have to pay for the key it aint free......

As for NASCAR frequencies what races do you plan on going to? The lists online are not always right, whats used at one track may not be available at another, Indy is one example where some have to use different frequencies due to their being in use near or at the track for other purposes, and it never fails that race morning some have changed. I alaways get them from Racing Radios as they are the ones who actually program the radios in the cars..... but then I get reimbursed for the expense :)
As for setting your radio up, yes, you can use the format your thinking of, then for the secondary frequencies use 100 -->
Don't forget the only NASCAR officials frequencies you can hear now are the scoring and timing and Race Control.......

LordJ

I used my 92xlt and programmed the drivers by their car # to the corresponding channel #. So Super G would be Channel 24 and 124 for secondary channel. That way I could easily get to whatever driver I needed to. Also programmed in the race control and the mrn freqs, losts of behid the scenes info on that one...I feel that using my 396 would not have been as easy to do what I wanted for the race, so for me alpha tagging made no sense...hth

Viper43

When I go to NASCAR & IRL races I have three scanners, one has the cars, one has officials & safety, plus security and media type channels. Race control is priority, and the third scanner backs up both of the other two in case one croaks which has happened before... but the one that croaked was hit by a flying tire in the pits during a crash. Pit road during the Indy 500 can get really wild.

V

bonus1331

Interesting information.
I've been to a bunch of races here in Charlotte and a couple in Ft. Worth and the one place I never feel like bringing a scanner is to the race.
This from a guy who is constantly monitoring.
I just feel that my time is better spent drinking beer, watching the race, screaming at friends in the next seat, and trying to figure out how I'm going to balance my beer, eat a hot dog and and get to the binoculars all with the 36" seat space I have.

Now I have had the opportunity to go to a couple of races in a luxury box...that gives you more options..

Status
Not open for further replies.