Setting up HP436 for Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh552

I bought a HP436 and am getting some transmissions but have not been able to pick up any Columbus Police transmissions. I do hear them on my scanner app on my phone. Any tips? FYI, cannot use the Sentinel software until i can figure out how to get it working on a mac.

Hit_Factor

Enter the zip code for your location.

Turn on scan full database. That's probably on if you didnt turn it off.

Turn on the law enforcement services types that interest you. Turn off the service types of no interest.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I bought a HP436 and am getting some transmissions but have not been able to pick up any Columbus Police transmissions. I do hear them on my scanner app on my phone. Any tips? FYI, cannot use the Sentinel software until i can figure out how to get it working on a mac.
As you have not yet used Sentinel, probably a large part of your problem is that the database that was in the scanner when shipped is likely well out of date. On the scanner itself, press the Menu key (lower key on the left side).
At the Main Menu on the scanner, scroll down and highlight Manage Full Database. Press the E (yes/enter) key to select.
At the database menu page, scroll down to Information and select that by pressing the E again.

That will show you the date of the main database that is on your scanner.

See this article from ScannerMaster's site:
Mac Users of Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com

If you do not want to use one of the methods indicated in the artcle, then you may want o look into getting a cheap, older, desktop or laptop to use for programming. The Sentinel software used for your scanner does not require the latest & greatest features. As long as it is running a reasonably recent version of Windows, and can connect to the internet, it should work just fine. Alternately, if you have a friend or relative that will allow you to install Sentinel on their PC, you could at least do updates to the database, as well as any that are released for the scanner's firmware.

steveh552

Enter the zip code for your location.

Turn on scan full database. That's probably on if you didnt turn it off.

Turn on the law enforcement services types that interest you. Turn off the service types of no interest.

Simple and I did that from the start.

As you have not yet used Sentinel, probably a large part of your problem is that the database that was in the scanner when shipped is likely well out of date. On the scanner itself, press the Menu key (lower key on the left side).
At the Main Menu on the scanner, scroll down and highlight Manage Full Database. Press the E (yes/enter) key to select.
At the database menu page, scroll down to Information and select that by pressing the E again.

That will show you the date of the main database that is on your scanner.

See this article from ScannerMaster's site:
Mac Users of Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com

If you do not want to use one of the methods indicated in the artcle, then you may want o look into getting a cheap, older, desktop or laptop to use for programming. The Sentinel software used for your scanner does not require the latest & greatest features. As long as it is running a reasonably recent version of Windows, and can connect to the internet, it should work just fine. Alternately, if you have a friend or relative that will allow you to install Sentinel on their PC, you could at least do updates to the database, as well as any that are released for the scanner's firmware.

I read the article. I have a feeling I am going to be stuck with having to buy a windows machine for this. The fact of the matter is the WINE app will run it, but freezes to quickly and often.

KD8HMJ

hi steveh552 this is kd8hmj im in dublin ohio.i have a 436hp as well.i dont use a computer to program mine i do it manually but im fast at it. let me know exactly what you want to hear and i can program it for you.youre in canal winchester so that should be zone 2. ill be around sunday if that works for you. john kd8hmj

KD8HMJ

absolutely youre right i didnt explain it well enough if he wants to listen to cpd i thought zone two would be the closet to him

mharris

Thanks for the replies gentleman. I have everything set up. OH, the area of Canal I was in is covered by CPD Zone 2
Steve, keep in mind the 436 will perform VERY poorly in Columbus unless you're in a perfect spot. If you want to reliably listen to comms in our area you'll need an SDS series scanner.

mharris

Yes. I use both the SDS series and the Unication G series. Unication should be your number 1 pick if you ONLY want to monitor P25 trunked systems. If you want to monitor everything, you should choose the SDS series scanners.

WeldGuy

Premium Subscriber
Steve, keep in mind the 436 will perform VERY poorly in Columbus unless you're in a perfect spot. If you want to reliably listen to comms in our area you'll need an SDS series scanner.
I've had a 436 for a couple years now and I hear Fairfield County SO just great... with an 800 Mhz antenna mounted on it. I live between Canal Winchester and Pickerington and can use the Groves Road site or the Lancaster site. I also monitor the MECC without issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.