Setting up my RTL-SDR for the Denver/Aurora area.

ArkTex

Premium Subscriber
Pope County, AR | Collin County, TX | Volunteer FF
Hi there!

I'm in Colorado for the next few days, and I brought my TRX 1 and my two RTL-SDRs.

I'll be staying around the Aurora Highlands/Horseshoe Park area, with Buckley AFB to my north. I know most of Denver is the big E, as well as Aurora PD. I also know Buckley is off limits due to it being encrypted as well.

The TRX 1 works well on the DTRS, I'm able to pick up RTD in tests that I've done today. I'm using EZ Scan to program the TRX 1.

My SDRs work on Aurora's system, but as for DTRS it's only picking up the control channel and not using much else. I'm using SDRTrunk to run the two SDRS.

Is there anything within range of my two scanning systems that would be worth listening to, or am I stuck with Aurora Fire and Misc stuff on DTRS?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

ArkTex

Premium Subscriber
Pope County, AR | Collin County, TX | Volunteer FF
It is counterintuitive, but you will want to drop many of the closer sites located in Denver and the RTD only sites like Airport and Commerce City. Try further out sites like Conifer (1-002), Thorodin (1-005), Smoky Hill (1-007), Lookout (1-008), and Chevron (1-064) for DTRS. Other systems you might want to try out are FRCC using North Metro Simulcast (5-022) and MARC. You might be surprised at some of distances that signals will propagate due to our geography.
Would I hear a lot more on the FRCC than on the DTRS?

I'm not really interested in hearing CSP do traffic all day

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
If your interest is in listening to law enforcement, then sure! Some of the local police departments are pretty much the only local law enforcement left in the region that have not yet encrypted. Boulder County on DTRS (and analog VHF) could also be another option off of Thorodin.

If your listening interests are in fire, most everyone are still in the clear other than Denver. DTRS would be good for south and east areas, MARC for the west, and FRCC for the north. South Metro Fire Rescue is a pretty popular agency these days because of social media presence and they are often found on Chevron, Smoky Hill, and Conifer.