Setting up Online scanner??? - BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

gleff

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest the best way of setting up an online scanner using the 996. Preferably with some kind of live display as well as audio.

I'd imagine I'd need to use something like WM encoder. If anyone knows of any primers on what to do it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Geoff

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
There are tutorials available at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiveScannerAudio

What area are thinking about setting up a feed for?

gleff said:
Hi all,

Can anyone suggest the best way of setting up an online scanner using the 996. Preferably with some kind of live display as well as audio.

I'd imagine I'd need to use something like WM encoder. If anyone knows of any primers on what to do it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Geoff

gleff

kokomo1 said:
I would use the ARC EazyStream from Butel. It is really good and does text tags with the 996.

http://www.butel.nl/products/audio/index.html

The only downside is it isn't free for the server. (The client software is 100% free.)

There is a Yahoo group for this too - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/buteleazystream/

I thought of using that, but I don't like the idea of people having to download a client. I may do it though.. i'll see if I can do it another way though.

ICP963

Feed Provider
gleff said:
I thought of using that, but I don't like the idea of people having to download a client. I may do it though.. i'll see if I can do it another way though.
EasyStream is an interesting program, but I too don't care for the unique client software. I am feeding a scanner to an icecast2 server using two programs, ID Tracker for the metadata (channel info) and Oddcast for the audio.

It is super simple to setup ID Tracker (you would need ID Tracker II for the 996, and Oddcast. I had them running is a very short time. You will need someone that is running an Icecast2 server, or you can run one on the same machine. Running Icecast2 on your own machine probably would limit the number of people who can connect depending on your internet connection. Having Icecast2 on a real server gives you much more bandwidth for more users.

The best things are that more than just a Windows box can listen and all the software involved, Icecast2, Oddcast, ID Tracker II and numerous streaming players can be had for free.

gleff

ICP963 said:
EasyStream is an interesting program, but I too don't care for the unique client software. I am feeding a scanner to an icecast2 server using two programs, ID Tracker for the metadata (channel info) and Oddcast for the audio.

It is super simple to setup ID Tracker (you would need ID Tracker II for the 996, and Oddcast. I had them running is a very short time. You will need someone that is running an Icecast2 server, or you can run one on the same machine. Running Icecast2 on your own machine probably would limit the number of people who can connect depending on your internet connection. Having Icecast2 on a real server gives you much more bandwidth for more users.

The best things are that more than just a Windows box can listen and all the software involved, Icecast2, Oddcast, ID Tracker II and numerous streaming players can be had for free.

That ID Tracker II looks really good.. I'll give it a go. I'd imagine you'd save a heap of bandwidth uploading once to an ICECAST 2 server. I'll give them all a go.

Thanks heaps for that. I might seek your assistance though if I have any issues/questions.

gleff

Damn... I just realised that ID Tracker II won't work with my Australian version of the 996. It checks the model and it doesn't recognise UBCD996T. I've emailed the author.. hopefully he can add the model pretty quickly.

WB6AJE

Scanner audio

If you have a static IP address, you can purchase a BARIX Instreamer.
It allows 2 audio channels.
You can listen with WinAmp (free on the web)

John Bush
RemScan Products.

www.remscan.com

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
You may take a look at Microsoft Media Encoder 9 also. If your video card supports it and you are running a virtual control on your PC for the scanner you can capture the audio from the scanner as well as the Virtual Scanner screen on your computer.

One good thing about Media Encoder 9 is that anyone with Windows Media player can listen in.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.